Team Chevelle banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

Registered
70 Chevelle, 489 BB, Jerico DR4
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I ran the Carter M4889 for a while on my 540 and it put out a steady 7 psi. It wasn't enough for my motor so I upgraded it to the Carter M7901G pump which is their Billet aluminum pump and it fits the bill for my combo. The M7901G puts out 6 PSI. It's fed from 1/2'' stainless hard line and pick up from the tank to the pump, and 1/2'' stainless from the pump to both inlets on the carburetor. Its pricey, but its a great pump. Everyone hates it because it's anodized blue. I could care less, as long as it works.
That's a pricey piece馃榿 Carter says 8 psi though. I'm not sure how legit some of these specs are.

Registered
6 PSI was verified with an Autometer mechanical fuel pressure gauge tied in at the T fitting before the individual lines entered the bowls. Gauge was fed by a 4' -4an line to the gauge directly mounted outside on the cowl. The gauge read the same once I installed the isolator and moved the gauge inside of the car. Pressure drops to 3 PSI at WOT and holds. Comes right back up to 6 PSI when I lift. Just my experience.

Registered
Anodize could be stripped off, all my blue an fittings save for 1 are now polished.
Like the fact you dont need a regulator. Spent a lot of $ having nice 1/2" stainless lines made and dont wanna have to redo them. Reached out to Carter hope they maybe got one collecting dust somewhere. Hope..lol
Dont know why they stopped making such a kickazz pump. .

Registered
I use a liuid filled gauge right before the fuel log. Mine flutters a lot cant tell what the psi is
looks like7 maybe 8-9
Is the fluttering normal its always done that. Strange how some pumps run out of fuel yuet one rated 20 lbs less keeps up. Went a lil overkill so I didnt run into that same issue as I did with 2 holley pumps yrs ago
Pulled hard til 5k then went flat as a board. Was only a 430hp 350 on a good day

Premium Member
sure it is man, the guage flutters with strokes of the pump diaphram. At least I always figured it that a way,

I'm putting my new "strip" pump on. Oddly the old strip pump has 3/8 NPT in/outs not 1.4" NPTs like the new one.

Jegs has the diaphram "with green spring" available. Again, I have no idea what parts my old NASCAR pump requires for rebuild.

BTW, if you can blow thu a fuel filter, its good to go, right? Its only a few years old, so I cant think its the problem.

Registered
When I had my regulator (Aeromotive 13204) plumbed before the carb, then -6 to each bowl, the pressure gauge mounted in the regulator read steady. I then changed it so the pump fed right into a log, then the regulator mounted on the end of the log. The gauge mounted in the log now pulses with the pump. I just look at the middle of the needle's swing and take that as the average pressure.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts