Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hello all. 69chevelle 350. I had about 1/4 of a tank everything was working find when i shut the car off, 30 min later I started the car and the needle went past full all the way to the middle of the temp guage. when i shut off the car it creeps back to full. The only thing I did so far is disconnect the unit from under the dash and fill the tank. It did not work

could the float be stuck?

·
Registered
323 Posts
Most likely, the sending unit in the tank has gone bad. Here's how to check:

Disconnect the hot lead running to the sending unit at the tank. With the key on,ground that hot wire to the frame. Have someone watch the fuel guage. If it goes down to empty, your sending unit is bad.

If not, supsect a faulty ground or the guage itself.

rb6667

·
Registered
306 Posts
Most likely, the sending unit in the tank has gone bad. Here's how to check:

Disconnect the hot lead running to the sending unit at the tank. With the key on,ground that hot wire to the frame. Have someone watch the fuel guage. If it goes down to empty, your sending unit is bad.

If not, supsect a faulty ground or the guage itself.

rb6667
Good method, but i do believe the guage will pin full with this test...It's possible the wire has already shorted to ground. If possible, i'd get the wire near the rear of the guage and interrupt it there; see if the guage drops empty

·
Premium Member
1,613 Posts
1 - 7 of 7 Posts