Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm redoing the fuel lines on my 72 chevy from the gas tank to the engine mounted mechanical fuel pump. I've already ran 3/8" steel, double flared line from the tank to the entrance of the engine compartment. Now I have to convert from 3/8" steel line (with flare nut on end) to AN type steel braided hose and get it to the fuel pump somehow and look nice and stay away from those hot 2" headers.

I'd like to go from the steel line to a braided hose, to a body mounted fuel block. I need one of you guys that is good at this plumbing stuff to help me out. I will need a 90 deg fitting of some kind at the fuel pump as it is tight space there.

I believe I should use 6 AN hose size because I have 3/8" fuel line from the tank. Is that the correct AN size?

I don't know the best way of doing this - seems like there are a dozen ways to do it.

thanks

Lee

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You may have to go from a flare-to-NPT fitting and then a NPT-to--AN fitting. Fuel pump is mechanical?
yea it's a mechanical pump mounted to the block.

ok I got the flare to male pipe thread (MNPT) on there, now what?

My latest idea is to go from that fitting to a 6 AN braided hose, to a distribution block mounted to the wheel well, to another 6 AN stainless hose to the fuel pump. the fitting on the fuel pump will be a 90 deg hose to 3/8" NPT fitting for the fuel pump.

any pictures of what you guys did will help a lot

mail to:

[email protected]

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
If I'm following, you've got a flare-to-MNPT of your steel line. Now you need a female NPT-to- -AN6 fitting. The female NPT needs to be the same size as the male NPT you already have. Connect those two together. Next, you need a 3/8" male NPT-to- -AN6 fitting for the inlet of your fuel pump. Connect your stainless braided hose between the two. Same, or similar, fitting for the outlet of your pump.

My pump to carb lines are rigid aluminum. I have a two port regulator, but I run a gauge on one side. Not quite the set up you are looking for, but you can view photos if you wish here:
http://web.mac.com/zemke2/iWeb/Site/The Shop.html

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
If I'm following, you've got a flare-to-MNPT of your steel line. Now you need a female NPT-to- -AN6 fitting. The female NPT needs to be the same size as the male NPT you already have. Connect those two together. Next, you need a 3/8" male NPT-to- -AN6 fitting for the inlet of your fuel pump. Connect your stainless braided hose between the two. Same, or similar, fitting for the outlet of your pump.

My pump to carb lines are rigid aluminum. I have a two port regulator, but I run a gauge on one side. Not quite the set up you are looking for, but you can view photos if you wish here:
http://web.mac.com/zemke2/iWeb/Site/The Shop.html
thanks Zeke.

yes you are correct. However, I can't find a female inverted flare 3/8 to male -6 AN adapter. they only make to up to size -4 AN. Very frustrating. So I have to use a 3/8 female inverted flare to 3/8 male NPT adapter, and then use a 3/8 female NPT to -6 AN male adapter. So in other words, I have to use 2 adapters connected to eachother instead of one. No big deal - it's just frustrating that I have to use 2 to accomplish what 1 could do if it were available - but it's not. I checked lots of places.

I can't believe how expensive that Earls Plumbing stuff is. Just for a few fittings, 6 ft of -6 AN hose, and a Tee fuel block - it's costing me over $110. I see guys with that stuff all over their engine that has got to cost like $500. Sorry, but I don't have $500 just for engine compartment hoses like some guys do.

Lee

·
Premium Member
4,988 Posts
I had to do the same with my 3/8 inverted flare fuel line where it meets the Edelbrock -AN chrome fuel line.

I hear ya on prices, that's why I have so much hard line and regular old brass inverted flare fittings.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts