Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
459 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is for my '86 Chevy 1/2 Ton...but should be similar to a Chevelle.
The problem I have is the calibration. When the gauge gets to empty, I actually have 8 gallons left (20 gallon tank). The sender and gauge seem to work properly, since it has the capability to go from empty to full. When the tank is full, the gauge, of course, reads full. The weird thing is, this happens on both tanks!

I assume I have to bend the sender float? Has anybody had to do something similar? How far does the float have to be from the bottom of the tank?

------------------
Matt Jones
1969 Base Camaro
Vortec 355, Perf. RPM, Demon Carb., TH-400
All sheetmetal is NOS GM
See my UPDATED webpage at: http://www.geocities.com/compuboy007/ (Updated: 1/13/03)

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
To setup the sender in my streetrod, per instructions, I had to measure the depth of the tank (top to bottom) then set the LENGTH of the float arm per a chart. Its dead on. The universal kits sold for rods are adjustable in this manner. But bending the rod won't change the ratio of the movement. Hard to explain without visuals, hope this helps. OBTW, the 'rod' versions would probably work in your truck tank, just get the ones for the "late GM" ohm rating. The vendors would know for sure.

------------------
Dave Bradley
www.corvetteforum.net/classics/d1_bradley
'69 SS396 ragtop
'33 3W Coupe
'65 Vette BB Roadster

[This message has been edited by d1_bradley (edited 01-17-2003).]

1 - 3 of 3 Posts