Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 69 SS that I plan on building into a custom-driver and this will be my first, of many I'm sure, posts. I'm interested in using F.I. and a recent issue of Popular Hotrodding previewed the prototype unit from GM which should be available this Summer. It appears to be a straight-forward bolt on application. I'm curious as to what anyone thinks. My other plans include: power disc brakes, roll-cage, 502 crate motor, Richmond 5-speed, 16" wheels, custom dash with auto meter gauges, etc., etc. Thanks.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Laps, I'm in the middle of a similar buildup. I'm boring and stroking my brand-new 502 BowTie block to a 540ci. I'm also going with EFI rather than "normal-aspiration". After researching the topic, I'm going to go with the Accel/DFI system because of its track-record and versatility. My car is going to be a mean mutha street/racing car. I want to drive it to the track, run 8-9 sec ET's (on 250-HP shots of juice and a centrifugal supercharger), then drive it to Flat River BBQ for world's-finest post-racing grub. I don't think any other commonly-used (i.e., being able to find anyone to troubleshoot any problems) EFI's have this versatility other than Accel.

The GM ECM is not programmable (beyond what the factory has done for you). But for a street cruisin' big block, it should do well. Look for a recent gearhead rag (maybe it was a CarCraft/HotRod EFI special?) - in it there was an article called "Is the carb dead?" Lots of good info. Keep us updated.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Doc, an 8 or 9 second streetable chevelle? I will beleive it when I see it!!

ps- dont let this get you down in any way because Im no expert but I think that would be a sight to see. Good luck and keep us informed along the way of your build-up..

sincerely, Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Doc, stroking the rat! 540 + nitrous+blower, sure Doc, you get that suspension right and you'll break tens easy. RAGE ON!

Laps, sounds like a fine combo. Keep the rear ratio at 3.31 or below, you probably don't need more than a 2.73 with that torqey rat and if you can get 2.50s or so that would be prime. Since your restifying discs are great, but I use special shoes for my 67 which are as good if not better at very high speed stops ( cause there's 4 of them, not just 2) than a disc/drum arrangement. But front discs are easy enough.

IMHO cages are real ugly and the stock Chevelle frame will take the 502 well enough unless this is a saturday night special. Do it only if you have to.

Good luck and check in to let us know the progress.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 01-05-2000).]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.