Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
All,

Unfortunately over the last couple years I haven't had much chance to drive the Chevelle. It had around 3/4 of a tank when parked. I put Stabil in the tank a little over a year and a half ago. Then about 8 months ago I put 5 gal of VP Racing HP 101 in it. Been starting and running it off and on since May after finishing some upgrades. When I pulled it out of the garage I had an issue with a leak on the carb and cleaned it up and it has ran fine. Took it to a car show a few weeks ago and now I noticed some build up of old gas around the mechanical fuel pump body and I notice a slight smell of old gas in the garage (not terrible). Is there anything I can do to try and fix this issue without trying to drain a full tank of gas? Car still starts and runs great. Thank you!!

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldn't worry about it.
Put startron In the tank and run it .
After you run it down 5 gallons put another 5 of the 101 in it . Then run it some more.
Startron is good stuff .
But if you aren't gonna run It drain it and put good gas and stabilizer in it . Gotta run the car as often as you can .

·
Registered
41 Posts
I run 90+ octane pump gas in my 396 if thats all i can get during the summer but in the fall i run it low on gas and I get non ethanol gas 91 or better octane for winter storage....full it up to get most of the air out of the tank. Run it a bit to get it up to carb then start it once or twice over the winter in the spring it runs good. If you don't have a station near you that has non ethanol try a marina. Most only sell non ethanol for boats. At the marine they usually are about a buck a gallon more than the street though
Hopefully this give you an option

·
Registered
804 Posts
I wouldn't put ethanol in a lawnmower.
Matter of fact many of the power equipment manufacturers void the warranty if that crap is used in thier equipment.
Nothing worse for carb than that junk .
Ask any guy who been rebuilding carbs for more than 5 or 10 years . You'll get a 100 percent consensus on that.
If NE is unavailable then put startron In it to mop that crap up .

·
Registered
467 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
All, thanks for the quick and reassuring responses. Feeling a lot better especially not wanting to waste the $90 worth of HP101 I put in it this spring trying to save it.

Any word on the fuel appearing to leak around the body of the fuel pump (looks to be coming from the bolts that hold the two pieces together)? Thinking maybe it dried out a bit and running it will revive it...

·
Registered
804 Posts
All, thanks for the quick and reassuring responses. Feeling a lot better especially not wanting to waste the $90 worth of HP101 I put in it this spring trying to save it.

Any word on the fuel appearing to leak around the body of the fuel pump (looks to be coming from the bolts that hold the two pieces together)? Thinking maybe it dried out a bit and running it will revive it...
Is it still leakin ?

·
Registered
188 Posts
I live in california and fuel never seems to go bad. I have never seen bad fuel before. I would say get a fuel pump regulator and change the gaskets on your fuel pump. I have heard you can also shim out the fuel pump as well for less abuse and lower fuel pressure.

·
Registered
2,437 Posts
Ethanol gas came out and I used it with seafoam in all small engines. never any issue. Ethanol free came out and I switched to that. Be careful in freezing climates. First year I had a gas line freeze up. Went back to ethanol gas and seafoam. Now it is priced with diesel.

·
Premium Member
2,854 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
I wouldn't put ethanol in a lawnmower.
Matter of fact many of the power equipment manufacturers void the warranty if that crap is used in thier equipment.
Nothing worse for carb than that junk .
Ask any guy who been rebuilding carbs for more than 5 or 10 years . You'll get a 100 percent consensus on that.
If NE is unavailable then put startron In it to mop that crap up .
I tend to agree with you.
I would prefer 100% gasoline too.

The only problem is that there aren't many (any, for me) stations that have 100% gas anymore.
The last station, around me, that sold 100% (91) stopped about 1½-2 years ago... (to make way for E15 - "unleaded 88")
The airports around here won't sell to you unless you have a plane there, and befriending someone who does, just to get gas, is a non-starter...
There aren't any marina's within a reasonable distance that would make it worth the hassle or price. Same for the lone dragstrip - 40 mi away...

So I buy the best E10 (93) I can. Shell, BP etc.

Also, how could ANY power equipment manufacturer void their warranty if you use E10 when that is the ONLY thing available?
Seems like a built-in excuse for selling junk to me.
My mower and weed eater run fine, start on first or second pull every time, even in Spring.
Of course, I do put StaBil in my gas can...
My dad doesn't and his also run/start fine too.
But we both use a quality brand for our power equipment.

Side note:
When I had my bike, almost 30 years ago (WOW!!!) there was a Marathon nearby that had 110 leaded. IIRC it was about $2-2.50ish/gal then.
Those days are long gone...

·
Premium Member
24,672 Posts
Funny how I ran THREE carbs on the Chevelle for twenty years using pump grade mix w/o issue. and I rebuild carbs. So eth doesn't ruin stuff unless its on its way out to begin with, imho.
Oh its scientifically stupid to mix it into fuel, politicians have their heads up their asses, so we pay. Methanol would have been smart, but we dont have smart folks as pols, only partisan parrots anymore.

·
Registered
804 Posts
I tend to agree with you.
I would prefer 100% gasoline too.

The only problem is that there aren't many (any, for me) stations that have 100% gas anymore.
The last station, around me, that sold 100% (91) stopped about 1½-2 years ago... (to make way for E15 - "unleaded 88")
The airports around here won't sell to you unless you have a plane there, and befriending someone who does, just to get gas, is a non-starter...
There aren't any marina's within a reasonable distance that would make it worth the hassle or price. Same for the lone dragstrip - 40 mi away...

So I buy the best E10 (93) I can. Shell, BP etc.

Also, how could ANY power equipment manufacturer void their warranty if you use E10 when that is the ONLY thing available?
Seems like a built-in excuse for selling junk to me.
My mower and weed eater run fine, start on first or second pull every time, even in Spring.
Of course, I do put StaBil in my gas can...
My dad doesn't and his also run/start fine too.
But we both use a quality brand for our power equipment.

Side note:
When I had my bike, almost 30 years ago (WOW!!!) there was a Marathon nearby that had 110 leaded. IIRC it was about $2-2.50ish/gal then.
Those days are long gone...
Using NE makes for better fuel economy to where the increase in the cost of it vs corn is about a wash.
Startron does about the same thing. Def6s noticeable dif in milage and performance.
Cheap stuff man. Give it a whirl

1 - 20 of 26 Posts