Chevelles.com banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,162 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Its me again, John. This time its the fuel gauge. I printed the link on gauge troubleshooting and followed it. I dropped the tank and eyeballed the sending unit. The ground is clean and spot welded to the sender and I cleaned all the connections. The attachment point for the ground to the body is clean. I am not getting any ohms from the sender. I checked under the dash at the gauge and there are 12 volts going to the gauge. I am guessing that the other 2 connections on the gauge pigtail go to the sender and the other one is a ground for the gauge. Since the gauge needle is pointing 90 degrees to the right, I am guessing bad ground. Does the fuel gauge require a direct ground like the Auto Meters do? I tried to ground the gauge body and nothing changed. Is it possible to attach a ground wire into the pigtail and direct ground the gauge? The sender appeared to be new and the coil appeared to be in good condition.

One other quick question. In a couple of other posts about horns, you refered to the rag joint not grounding the steering column. Is there only one way for the rag joint to fit?

Thanks for all your help, I going to try and go to C/B this year (thats if I don't keep running out of fuel and my neighbor doesn't kill me for the horn)
and I'll buy you your favorite beverage in return for your kindness. Again thanks.

------------------
Mark
69 Chevelle SS

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If you disconnect the tan wire off the sender it should drive the fuel gage to full. That's because the gage is seeing greater than 90 ohms (infinity). If you ground the tan sender wire, it should drive the gage to empty. (0 ohms). I thought the 69 fuel gages only have a 2 wire connector on them, pink = 12 volts, tan = sender. Didn't think the 3 wire fuel gages came out until 70 or 71 that included a third black ground wire. If you only have 2 wires to the gage, the gage frame must be grounded.
Anyway, make sure the gage has it's ground and try grounding/opening the tan wire.
Not a rag joint expect. What I mentioned is the rag joint connection is what provides ground to the upper steering shaft. If your horn doesn't work: Jumper the steering shaft under the hood (clean spot) to ground as a test. If that does it, it's the rag joint. You won't see continuity from the steering shaft to gear box.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts