Team Chevelle banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I have a 70 Chevelle with the SS gauges and I am having some problems with my fuel gauge and wanted to get some ideas of what may be causing the problem, either of the fuel gauge itself or the sending unit from the tank.

As of now, the fuel tank is maybe half full but the fuel gauge is reading past full. Is there a way I can see if the problem lies in the fuel tank sendng unit or the fuel gauge itself?

Mr confused. :confused:

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
sounds like the wire from the sender to the gauge is disconnected or the ground wire is broke
there is a possibility the sender is bad but this is usually a bad wire or connection
first check the ground wire and make sure you have a clean and secure connection and recheck if it still not working try this
if you take the wire that goes to the gauge from the sender and touch it to ground the gauge will go to empty if not then problem lies in wire or gauge (not likely to be gauge though)
if it does go to empty then you may have a sender problem

·
Premium Member
142 Posts
There are two types of gauges, single coil and duel coil. They act totally differently, the single coil gauge will go to full when you ground the wire. The duel coil gauge will go to empty when you ground the wire. I am not sure which you have but you can get a potentiometer (variable resistor) from radio shack. Olm across the sender and ground to check the resistance, "replace" the sensor electrically with the pot and set it to the desired resistance. Actually you must remove the pot from the circuit, set the resistance, then put back in the circuit.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts