Chevelles.com banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The fuel gauge on my '71 Chevelle does not work. Right now I have the dash pad removed to give me access to behind the speedo. I've checked the fuse and it checks good. Now I have unplugged the plug for the fuel gauge and I've got my multimeter ready.

I would like to know what I should be checking for? There's three wires....a pink, a black and a tan....what do I check for on these three wires?

·
Registered
4,973 Posts
I think the pink is switched +12V, black is GND and tan is signal. If you have pink and black hooked up with key ON and ground the tan, the gauge should go to E (thanks John). If it does, gauge is good. Then you can check tan wire to rear for open. You'll have to use a needle at the rear or drop tank. You'll need to drop tank to replace sender. Might also check sender plate for GND to chassis. If you remove TAN at the dash and 'look' to GND you should see between 0 and 90 ohms. If its OPEN see above.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well right now the fuel gauge does read F (even though I know it's not full cuz it said the same thing before and I was still able to pump quite a bit of fuel into it).

Do I need to manually move the needle to the E mark and then try it? Dumb Q but I assume the sending unit operates off of the ground?

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Don't manually move the needle. Not good on it. Ground the tan line with a jumper. The needle should go to Empty.

·
Registered
5,069 Posts
dunno if its worth mentioning but my car holds a good few gallons after it is on F, the gauge goes up past that a tiny bit and just takes a while to come down. My guess is prolly close to 4-5 gallons over the "full" reading

1 - 5 of 5 Posts