Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The fuel gadge on my 71 chevelle will not read "full". On a full tank it will only go as high as the 1/2 mark. Could it be the sender? If so how hard is it to change?
Thank you.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
You might what to take some readings on your fuel sender as a first step. With a full tank it should read 90 ohms, half tank is 45, 0 is empty. See what kind of results you get. Taking a guess right now it sounds like the calibration resistor on the back of the meter but without some measurements, I can't be sure. The resistor is a faily easy fix if that's it.
http://www.chevelles.com/techref/ftecref18.html

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
do you mean on the back of the gadge? Where is a easy test point? I think the wires come up threw the trunk.
thanks,
Dave

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
If it was me, I'd take the dash pad off. If this is a sweep dash (non gage dash) the fuel meter is fairly easy to get at. The sender wire is the tan wire. Need to unplug the connector from the meter to read the sender.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
don't take the dash pad off just unplug the tank unit wire at the rear bumper turn on the key gauge should go past full if does bad tank unit or tank unit ground. p.s. make shure you don't unplug license light as it is in the same area

1 - 5 of 5 Posts