Team Chevelle banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my new tank has a crack in the solder on the neck. Should I have it soldered or have it welded? If solder, what type should I use .. never done it before.

Thanks,

Dave

·
Premium Member
9,705 Posts
Definitely use solder. I am not sure what kind of solder is on the market these days. There have been a lot of products that used to contain lead, but do not anymore. If your tank is made from the same metal that was originally used (terneplate) it is coated with some lead alloy, so trying to weld it would burn that off and the corrosion resistance would be lost.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ah okay .. I got the Spectra Tank. Would lead be better?

·
Premium Member
2,221 Posts
Take the tank and neck to any radiator shop, they can solder the neck on fairly cheap.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The neck is already on the tank, just has a crack along the solder from the shipping. My buddy took his tank to the local radiator shop and man they tore up the tank .. think they were dragging it all over the place. Then they put a drain plug in it LOL

I may not be skilled in soldering but gotta do a better job than that!

·
Gold Founding Member
64,737 Posts
#1 - don't use that same radiator shop.
#2 - talk to the and explain that the tank is for a show car and ask if they can do the job without scratching it up first.

Has it ever had gasoline in it?

The keys to a good solder job are cleaning, proper flux and solder and proper temperature. The solder tells you the temperature.
You can still buy solid core 50/50 solder, you just can't use it on potable water piping.

·
Premium Member
6,840 Posts
If it's had gasoline in it, fill it full of water before doing this.
Solder it back with a propane torch and acid core solder. Get the area clean, don't overheat it and don't use any more solder than you need to seal the joint.
http://www.solders.com/core_solder.htm
BillL

·
Premium Member
1,760 Posts
I had the same problem with my Spectra tank from shipping. Their was enough solder around the neck so all I did was heat it up with a propane torch and let it flow back in and have never had any leaks or issues.

·
Premium Member
6,590 Posts
Why can't gas tanks be shipped, without a fairly good chance of destroying them. Instead of having the neck stick out of the box, make a box thats 8 inches longer and reinforce the area around the neck. It seems to me, they'd be way ahead of the game, if they'd ship it safely in the first place, rather than having half of them returned :clonk::confused:I stopped buying them shipped. I get them at swap meets now.

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Why can't gas tanks be shipped, without a fairly good chance of destroying them. Instead of having the neck stick out of the box, make a box thats 8 inches longer and reinforce the area around the neck. It seems to me, they'd be way ahead of the game, if they'd ship it safely in the first place, rather than having half of them returned :clonk::confused:I stopped buying them shipped. I get them at swap meets now.
LOL my wife said basically the same thing last night .. "Well that's stupid how they ship it, the box isn't big enough .. that long thing shouldn't be sticking out like that"

·
Premium Member
1,784 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So use a propane torch vs a soldering gun?

·
Premium Member
17,924 Posts
I would have a shop do the work and be done with it. Especially since your dealing with galvanized steel. Any radiator shop can do this kind of work and its cheap.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts