Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have a 66 chevelle with hei on it. Car had a 350 when I got it and ran fine. I put in a 327 and put the hei back on. i did have it rebuilt frist,also I put a one wire alternator on and and got rid of the voltage reg. put on a new horn relay,new junction block. Anyway after starting and breaking in cam car would not start rerplaced module and it started. But when I plugged in the tach it did it again. I cleaned up ground on tach and replaced module, it started. though i had it fixed. started and drove it several times was okay until today. I put in three modules today . frist i unplugged tach it was fine then plugged in tach fryed it next I took tach ouit of carput in module wound not start it was fryed. got another it started.let the car set for couple hours went out and it won,t start. Also my fuel gauge has not worked since I put in new tank and sender don,t know if they are related. HELP. also I have a voltage spike when the car frist starts . I do have 12volts to distributor.And checked to see if it is 12 volts with key in start postion. Any ideas would be appprecated. Thanks Duane.Also the fuel gauge is new.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
I would suspect something wrong with the one wire alternator causing voltage spikes or unregulated voltage.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Ditto. If it's spiking high enough it will damage the electronics.

Also, are you using dielectric compound on the modules when you replace them? This is vital to them.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for reply.Yes I,m using dyelectric. And also I was getting voltage spikes with the old alterantor and voltage regulator.But now the problem has anew twist. After letting car set over night it will start but will not re start.No click or anything. Also it does not seem to run very smooth when it does start. Think I may just bite the bullet and rewire whole car Anyone had any luck with the painlees wiring system? Thanks Duane

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I'm guessing that the starter spins fine, but the ignition won't fire when it won't restart. Correct?

If so, check for voltage at your ignition when it isn't starting. You need at least 12V at the battery terminal. It sounds like you're losing voltage to me, and I wonder if you haven't thrown a few good modules in the trash.

Also, check the pickup coil (the other two wires from the module). This coil moves with the vacuum advance and it tends to wear out those two wires. It caused me problems not long ago, though it never prevented me from starting the engine. I'm sure it would have after a little more time.

Rewiring the car is more expensive, time consuming, and harder than troubleshooting your existing problem.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No when it will not restart Ihave nothing not even a click from solienod.I have checked voltage At battery and at ingition wire at dist. and have 12 volts. One thing I have noticed is my fuse block is cracked and moving alittle inside on the fire wall. Can this be replaced with out changing the rest of the loom. Thanks Duane

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
I don't know about replacing the fuseblock. I removed mine, bought an aftermarket fuseblock, and made my own harness.

Connect the positive lead of your meter to the "S" terminal of the starter. Use a jumper if necessary. Have someone hit the key and see if you're getting 12V there when it won't start. If not, check the line side of your neutral safety switch for 12V. If it's not there, check the line side of your keyswitch for 12V.

The following image is from the tech reference page, Tech Reference #4

Of course, if you have 12V to the line side of the switch (either one), but not to the other side, the switch is the culprit.

I suspect a faulty connection womewhere or a flaky switch. The cracked fuse block could also be your "faulty connection".

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks chad. Iwas going to check power at s termal at starter but hadn,t tought of neutral safty switch. I,ll check next time I get time.Do you think I could reatach wires from my loom to a stock fuse block if I can find one? Thanks again Duane.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Sure you can. Worst case you can solder your wires to the replacement block's wires. Best case you'll be able to wire it in directly. I'd have to be looking at it to give you a better answer.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for yor help Chad I,ll see if I can locate a fuse block and let you know how it works. when I get back to it. Thanks again Duane

1 - 10 of 10 Posts