Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I put this under body because it is a paint observation. Under the Tech section/restoration shop, it has the front sway bar listed as "cast iron gray". Which to me looks very light, almost silver color. On Dale's site, he has the sway bar listed as "natural or semi-gloss black". Most of the bars I've seen are semi black. What would the correct color be for this?

thanks

·
Premium Member
189 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
I bought an NOS rear bar for mine and it was black. You would think the front bar would be the same.

Tom
Pretty sure rear was black but thought front was natural steel. Right or wrong I blasted mine and sprayed it Cast-Blast a few years ago. Looks good IMO.

·
Registered
6,633 Posts
front sway bar-natural cast iron gray = cast blast :thumbsup:
That's what I used on mine..... I love that stuff, tough as nails!! I don't know if it's "correct" or not, but it adds a little contrast to the front suspension and breaks up the sea of black.....

·
Premium Member
765 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I am getting ready to put the suspension back on my frame and would like to know what the correct restoration color should be. But I also wanted to point out that there are differences of opinion between the two sites on what the real color is. Thought maybe someone would come forward and straighten us all out. I appreciate the help, but it still looks like there are differences of opinion. On a second note, wouldn't you think that the two sway bars on a chevelle would be the same color?

thanks all

·
Premium Member
6,740 Posts
...On a second note, wouldn't you think that the two sway bars on a chevelle would be the same color?...
When some cars left the factory with one plastic and one steel inner fender, I really don't think they worried about color coordinating the sway bars.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I've doing some searching. Bare steel on this one. From August 2002.

12:28 PM
Rich-L79

Resto, Tag Team & Cruiz-Ins Moderator
Rich

As far as using spray cans, the best match I've found that is readily available is Krylon Semi-Flat black. I am NOT talking about Semi-Gloss, Semi-flat is different.

There are other good black paints available from restoration supply vendors but the Krylon paint I mentioned has the right finish, is a quality paint when used right and is available locally in most larger hardware stores so you can avoid specialty supply prices and shipping costs.

If you want to make the underhood area look more correct this paint will cover most of the underhood items but a few other things need different finishes. You may or may not want to take it this far but a good partial list of other finishes/colors would include:

-heater boxes were TYPICALLY gloss black (they were painted by the company who supplied them to GM so the paint shade did not always match the paint used at the assembly plant. Some were more flat looking like how I did mine to match it's original look from pictures I have from 1966, but most were glossier than the rest of the underhood components.)

-hood latch, hood catch, hood hinges were grey phosphate, a dull light-grey to dark-grey finish

-a-arm were black

-springs were typically bare steel

-steering components, sway bars and steering box were bare steel

-most exposed bolts were black phosphate (body bolts) or clear zinc (bolts used on mechanical things). There are always exceptions here and there, ask if you want to know specifics.

-steering shafts were bare steel.

-rectangular wiper motors were black, the round ones were bare steel with a clear zinc lower motor housing

-master cylinders were bare cast iron with a zinc chromate cap. The bail is white zinc.

-master cylinder boosters were zinc chromate (yellowish gold color)

This may not be everything, but should give you a good start if you want to go to the level of getting all the proper finishes on various things!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts