Chevelles.com banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My engine is at the machine shop and was wondering how much easier it makes the front suspension rebuild having the engine removed? Has anyone had both experiences of a rebuild with the motor in and out of the car? If it doesn't make a whole lot of difference, I'll plan on waiting till next year as the motor work is crunching the budget a bit and our second child is due June 9th if you know what I mean!! But if it makes the job a whole lot easier with the motor out, I'll have to bite the bullet and just do it. :confused:

Thanks,

·
Registered
777 Posts
IMO, it is easier with the motor IN! The weight of the motor helps compress the springs to get them back in... otherwise, you might have trouble getting the ball joints in the spindles; unless you do it the right way and use a spring compressor!

Other than the weight, I see no real advantage either way, you don't do much from the motor side.

Bill C.

·
Registered
826 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bill,
Sounds like I should save my money and buy diapers. I'll figure on doing that project next year or when the timing is better.

I was in Colorado Springs back in 1996. My cousin had a friend that lived there that he met in the Navy and we ended up staying at his place for a night. Went to my first Hooter's bar there! Then we went to a place called Texas Creek Junction and hunted mule deer for 5 days. What a great state Colorado is! Shot a small 4 by 4 but what lasting memories.

Thanks for the advice.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts