Team Chevelle banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am doing a restoration on my 71 chevelle. Nothing too fancy, but I do have a garage powder coating setup at my disposal and originality is not a concern

Do I need to rebuild the center link ends? I am getting new outter tie rods, but I am curious what all else must be rebuilt or replaced?

Any concerns with powder coating stuff up there? Would baking at 400* be a problem for the brand new tie rod ends?

What about powder coating the spindles? If it's not worth the hassle, should I paint them with a high temp engine enamel from a place like Autozone?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Go in a straight line inners, sleeves, outers, center link,sway bar links, bushings,idler arm, the right way and try and stick with a name brand,top quality company no rejects Bob Rizzi

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm not sure what you mean Bob. The sway bar I have already dealt with.

Also, the "sleeves" I am using are:
Baer anti-bump-stear pieces

·
Registered
355 Posts
I'm not sure what you mean Bob. The sway bar I have already dealt with.

Also, the "sleeves" I am using are:
Baer anti-bump-stear pieces

"A straight line" is what us old guys in NY means replace everything that goes together at one time :eek:uter ends ~ sleeves ~ inner ends ~ center link~swar bar links~~ idler arm everthing tight everything done.

·
Registered
355 Posts
"A straight line" is what us old guys in NY means replace everything that goes together at one time outer ends ~ sleeves ~ inner ends ~ center link~swar bar links~~ idler arm everthing tight everything done.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Woah. So I have to replace the center link!? I have to replace the idler arm?

I think you just mean to keep things in alignment you do it one piece at a time, right?

I'll investigate things closer this weekend and see what I can't figure out. I just don't want to put the rods in the ove n and have them come out weeker the added powder to the centerlink or SPINDLES not allow things to mate up close enough.

·
Registered
355 Posts
woah. So i have to replace the center link!? I have to replace the idler arm?

I think you just mean to keep things in alignment you do it one piece at a time, right?

I'll investigate things closer this weekend and see what i can't figure out. I just don't want to put the rods in the ove n and have them come out weeker the added powder to the centerlink or spindles not allow things to mate up close enough.

Old expression: "do it once do it right " good luck Bob Rizzi

·
Registered
103 Posts
Do I need to rebuild the center link ends? I am getting new outter tie rods, but I am curious what all else must be rebuilt or replaced?
Mike,

It's best to do it all in one shot - tearing down the front end is very time consuming and alignments are expensive.

We have a complete kit to rebuild your whole front end and we offer a 10% discount to Chevelles.com members.

Please let me know if there are any questions that we can answer for you. Best of luck with your rebuild!

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks PST. I'll look into it.

Maybe I'm not clear when I say that I already have every piece apart. The spindles are over here, the center link over there, the baer pieces somewhere over yonder.... you see where I'm getting at? I'm in the middle of a frame off restoration. Ne suspension, the whole works. So my alignment is going to be from scratch.

·
Registered
4,374 Posts
Mike,

We have a complete kit to rebuild your whole front end and we offer a 10% discount to Chevelles.com members.
American or oversees stuff? I'm in the market for a center link, tie rod ends and idler arm for a 67... I can get the cheap oversees junk at autozone or pepboys...

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Buy the good moog parts or something simular.. I just tried to do a front end on old chevy pickup using off shore parts provided by customer
nothing fit properly..finally told customer to go get GOOD PARTS from
local parts store and it worked GREAT!

BELEIVE ME WHEN I SAY...YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

P-S-T BUSHING ARE GREAT..NO NOISE IF ALL OTHER PART ARE
SAME ...GREAT PLACE TO BY PARTS AND PRICES ARE GOOD ALSO

JAY TUCSON AZ

·
Registered
103 Posts
Chevelles deserve the best buy American !!!!!!! You are right on the money $$$$$$
Rizzi,

We agree - American made is the best! I did a quick check with our purchasing department and confirmed that the tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints, and center link are all made by Moog. We've been buying the parts from them for the last 20 years. All of our Polygraphite® bushings are also manufactured right here in the USA.

Thanks for your support Rizzi, it's referrals like your's that have kept us in business for over 20 years!

P.S. For those of you who are calling in orders over the phone, the salesmen don't have access to the purchasing screens so they can't see the source of the parts - they won't be able to confirm for you. But I double checked with our purchasing department and they are all purchased from Moog!

·
Premium Member
7,646 Posts
Back to Mikes original question (as i'd like an answer too)

Can you powder coat new front steering components w/o risk of damagin them?

IE: Inner & outter tie Rods, centerlink, & Idler arm.

Would the heat affect the movable joints?

Also- What could be used to protect the ends to keep the powder out, but not burn or melt in the oven?

·
Registered
355 Posts
rizzi,

we agree - american made is the best! I did a quick check with our purchasing department and confirmed that the tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints, and center link are all made by moog. We've been buying the parts from them for the last 20 years. All of our polygraphite® bushings are also manufactured right here in the usa.

Thanks for your support rizzi, it's referrals like your's that have kept us in business for over 20 years!

P.s. For those of you who are calling in orders over the phone, the salesmen don't have access to the purchasing screens so they can't see the source of the parts - they won't be able to confirm for you. But i double checked with our purchasing department and they are all purchased from moog!
I have been around 35 years !!!!!!! CHEVELLES SINCE 1965 / Bob Rizzi

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
So the answer is for sure that I should not re-use (or even rebuild) my Center Link or my Idler Arm?
Surely these aren't disposable parts like the outter and inner tie rods are...

At least the Pitman arm is good to go right, because it has no moving parts in it.

If that is the case, I see that PST has the center link and the Idler Arm assembly that I require.

·
Premium Member
5,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I'll be getting new stuff either way. I recall a time not too long ago when I had an outter tie rod pop out on me as I was driving. we can't have that happening at the higher speeds I intend to drive this car - to include possible wheel standing and bouncing of the front end. New stuff it is then. Christmass 2011 is coming ealier every day with this project. :D

·
Registered
355 Posts
Rizzi,

We agree - American made is the best! I did a quick check with our purchasing department and confirmed that the tie rod ends, idler arm, ball joints, and center link are all made by Moog. We've been buying the parts from them for the last 20 years. All of our Polygraphite® bushings are also manufactured right here in the USA.

Thanks for your support Rizzi, it's referrals like your's that have kept us in business for over 20 years!

P.S. For those of you who are calling in orders over the phone, the salesmen don't have access to the purchasing screens so they can't see the source of the parts - they won't be able to confirm for you. But I double checked with our purchasing department and they are all purchased from Moog![/QUOTE

*** NOTE: I HAVE GIVEN NO REFERRAL ON THIS POST, BOB RIZZI

1 - 18 of 18 Posts