Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My body shop dude of old tech 20 + years suggests if I want to lower my front by an 1 or 2 ro heat the springs gradually one side and the measure and do the other. Old school. What are the opinions of the community out there?

·
Registered
687 Posts
Is you don't want to buy lowering springs then remove the old ones and cut a quarter round of a coil off of each till you get it the height you want. Allow it to settle when you get it back togther because it will take a little time and bouncing the front end for it to settle. Of course this will take several times of assembly and disassembly but I like it better that heating. I don't like to heat the springs while it is still together because you can't control what the spring is going to do and how it is affected by the heat. Could cause a problem safety wise.

·
Registered
31 Posts
I feel mine is too high as well. Makes me think I should put a big block up front LOL...

DONT HEAT YOUR SPRINGS!!!!

http://community.webshots.com/user/ssdungeon

I did that in that Honda with the 32 12" and paid dearly for tires and could never keep it aligned well....

Just my .02

·
Premium Member
2,238 Posts
Dont heat them up ! one full coil lowers the front about 1-1/2 to 2 inches, there's probably a formula somwhere for this but I'm going off experience, try 1/2 a coil first, not enough ? take another half, but stop at 1 full coil ! anymore than that and you'll have alignment issues
Dave

·
Registered
173 Posts
I'd hate to say but I think the cost of lower springs is worth it for the labor it takes alone. I'm against heating the springs and I'd worry about how the cut spring is going to seat in the control arm.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts