Chevelles.com banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you veteran board members might remember the youtube video that was linked to on here which showed front coil spring removal on a Chevelle without the use of a spring compressor. I thought the link was placed in a sticky thread on here, but since I don't see it, I guess not. I think the guy who did the video was a board member here, but I'm not positive on that. Does anyone here still have a link to that old video? I did a search on youtube but I couldn't find it.

I guess I can figure it out when I go to do it, but I wanted to view that vid once more before I dove into the job. I saw a couple other videos on youtube, but they weren't as good as the one I'm speaking of, nor were they vehicle specific like that one was.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have a spring compressor tool. But that isn't what I was asking about

·
Premium Member
6,211 Posts
I would love to see this video if you find it . I just took the complete front cross member out from under my 70 C10 frame and was wondering the best way to disassemble it for sandblasting . I put a chain thru the spring and lower control arm to limit it . Worked fine for what Im doing but would like to see a better way .

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would love to see this video if you find it . I just took the complete front cross member out from under my 70 C10 frame and was wondering the best way to disassemble it for sandblasting . I put a chain thru the spring and lower control arm to limit it . Worked fine for what Im doing but would like to see a better way .
The guy did it pretty easy in the video. I wish I knew what his username on here is. I think he was/is someone who restores the factory front control arms for guys on here. But I've done multiple searches on youtube, and I just cannot find it on there anymore.

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
My sequence of events is similar. I put the jack under the bottom of the control arm under the shock pocket, then jack the lower arm up, once the spring is in place, connect the upper ball joint to the spindle, tighten the castle nut, and install the cotter pin. The upper control arm will hold the spring in place and you can relocate the jack and install the shock.

·
Premium Member
1,806 Posts

·
Registered
5,004 Posts
I have done it like that on a '71 Camaro, but I also secured the spring with a sturdy cargo strap to make sure it wouldn't fly out if the jack slipped. I guess it can't go too far when it's already seated at the top, but there's lots of pressure on it so I didn't want to take any chances. Better safe than sorry.

·
Premium Member
8,512 Posts

When you watch this video and if you decide to copy his way of doing it,OK it's a quick way of doing it except for one thing .DO NOT follow his advice about installing the shock to capture that spring.All he had to do was drop the upper control arm back down and put the upper ball joint back into the spindle and put the nut back on it finger tight.That will SAFELY keep the spring in place and not put you under the spring putting the shock back in without anything except the floor jack.
His advice to install the shock with only that jack holding the LCA and the spring is really UNSAFE as there is nothing to stop the arm from dropping down if that jack slips.Putting the ball joint back into the spindle keeps the spindle between you and the spring if the jack slips.I've even used the stabilizer link into the sway bar to hold the spring on some jobs but those were with weak springs.
After that you could put the shock back in place but not just relying on that floor jack between you and the spring as you have to put the shock in from UNDER THE SPRING as we all know. :noway:

Reactions: Dean

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
4,975 Posts
I remove the front springs the same is the video in reverse. I remove the shock, put the jack under the lower control arm, knock the upper ball joint loose, slowly lower the jack and remove the spring. Sometimes a pry bar is necessary to get the spring out of the pocket after the control arm is lowered. Nothing to worry about as the spring is mostly extended at that point.

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remove the front springs the same is the video in reverse. I remove the shock, put the jack under the lower control arm, knock the upper ball joint loose, slowly lower the jack and remove the spring. Sometimes a pry bar is necessary to get the spring out of the pocket after the control arm is lowered. Nothing to worry about as the spring is mostly extended at that point.
OK Eric thanks.

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
I usually just lower the lower control arm and push down qith my foot and the spring usually just drops out, and I usually have flip flops on my feet. jim

Reactions: Not2Fast

·
Premium Member
13,456 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I usually just lower the lower control arm and push down qith my foot and the spring usually just drops out, and I usually have flip flops on my feet. jim
I'm a little dissappointed. I thought you were going to say you just bite the old spring with your teeth to crush it up in a few places. Kinda like Herman Munster's ole teething ring

·
Premium Member
'66 Aztec Bronze
1,314 Posts
I usually just lower the lower control arm and push down with my foot and the spring usually just drops out, and I usually have flip flops on my feet.
Working on your car in flip flops. How many toes do you have left, Jim? :grin2:

·
Registered
14,548 Posts
Working on your car in flip flops. How many toes do you have left, Jim? :grin2:
I do 99% of my work in flips. engine pulls, trans, rearend swaps. trick is not to drop anything on your foot. besides dropping a 500 pound motor on your foot, a piece of canvas isn't going to help.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts