Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to replace the original 2 front stereo speakers in my 70. Is there anyone who makes a small enough replacement with the correct mounting arrangement or am I better off having the originals upgraded? Is there anyone out there doing upgrades?

Thanks

·
Registered
337 Posts
A few years ago you could still get them from GM. They fit a lot of other cars as well
In the dealership that I worked in at the time, we had a bunch of discontinued speaker kits for God knows what, but they were the same speakers that go in the dash of my 72. I used them in My Chevelle and My Monte.
I have seen some similar ones at radio shack that will fit.

Good luck!

Jeff

·
Registered
425 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Well I purchased some retro-fit speakers for my '70 from *************(no supplier bashing here
) and they did fit the mounting holes, but they were small, and the sound is inferior compared to the original speakers. They just sound too "tinny" and little.

You can buy aftermarket speakers and fashion your own brackets. The size for the "stereo" fronts is 4X6". Just make sure you get 8 ohm speakers or wire two 4 ohm speakers in series to yield 8 ohms at least (if you're using the factory radio that requires a minimum of 8 ohm load).

I think your best bet over all is to get them (the original speakers) reconed at a repetible establishment.

Joe
-auto radio repair tech
-creator of Team Chevelle's radio info pages

·
Registered
115 Posts
Have you heard of Crutchfield? They sell top quality stuff for cars and home theater. A friend of mine called them up and said that he wanted to put some quality sounding speakers in is stock '70SS LS6 car and their computers came up with his exact application and they mounted perfect and everything. I cannot remember what brand they were, but they really rocked! The had built in tweeters as well. He also bought his rear speakers from them. I do not know what their number is, but I am sure they have a web page.

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
here's the scoop (former car audio installer) just go buy some quality speakers in the size you need 4x6" i belive you can get plates that are that size but have 2 speakers in them. various makers have these plates, i personaly like Fosgate, they hold a lot of wattage and are made to last for ever. 2nd choice is sony i will check cruchfield and give you my recamendation if you want.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle5.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
1,451 Posts
i guess fosgate doesn't sell em anymore but you can get an idea of what i mean by checking these 2 selections Pioneer #130TSP462 and the clarion 020SRC4652 these are the plates im talking about but i these are typically poor made speakers (sound good but don't last) just check the car audio shops near you.

------------------
members.aol.com/jnkb2cool/chevelle5.jpg John Krenn
1970 malibu SS look-a-like well kinda
307/200-4r

Ft.Worth, Tx

·
Registered
3,030 Posts
On the other hand, when I bought my '68, it had a digital cassette tweets up front, and 6x9's in the rear deck. But I wanted to listen to the 468!

I yanked the newfangled stuff and replaced the rear package shelf with a fresh no hole one. I bought an AM radio from a guy in NC (I'm in UT). I got the retro dash speakers from Muscle factory, and hooked it up. The AM sounds as bad as I remember from when I was a 9 year old in '68. Perfect! It takes me back like a time machine.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.