Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok guys,

I'm not sure on this, but i think some chevelles were offered with speakers in the front somewhere and speakers on the rear shelf under the window, and some had only speakers on the rear shelf. My 72 chevelle only has speakers in the rear, and i want to put some in the front also, so i was wondering if anyone could tell me the location of the front speakers in those cars that had them. Also, I would like to know the size of the speakers and where I could get an original dash/panel that already has holes in it for the speakers (black).

Thanks,

------------------
Joe Scott

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
If you ordered the stereo radio option in 70 through 72 there were two front speakers mounted in the dash, one above the speedometer and one above the glove box. The speakers had brackets riveted to them which matched brackets which were bolted to the dash assembly. The dash pads have holes to match the location of the speakers. You might try one of the aftermarket companies like Year One or original Parts Group for a repro or try to find one at a swap meet. Good luck!

·
Registered
224 Posts
That was one of the first things I did with my car. It already had the stereo dash, but the speakers consisted of a coil, no cone, just a coil

I bought a pair from radio shack, yeah not the best but Crutchfield couldn't cross-reference the speaker fittings for a 72 chevelle. I think they even chuckled a little.

I have the dimensions at home on a receipt, I will track 'em down and post back later on tonight.

**While you have that dash off, check to see if all of your speedo cluster lights are working. See if the in-window antenna (if you have one) is properly seated into the plug.

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Options! It's all about the options...

If you ordered a 1970-1972 Chevelle, and ordered a stereo radio of any kind you got:

2 front dash speakers and 2 rear shelf speakers

If you ordered an AM radio or AM/FM MONO radio, AND ordered A/C you got:

2 dash mounted speakers with the option (at extra cost) 1 rear speaker

If you ordered any mono radio and DIDN'T order A/C you got a single center speaker in the middle of the dash. (You could order a single rear speaker too of course)

The whole thing was the center A/C vent took up too much room for a center speaker, so the factory had to give you "duals" (stereo dash pad) even if you didn't order stereo sound system.

If you asked the nice dealer where you purchased your brand spanking new Chevelle to install an underdash 8-track, you would have rec'd (according to my research thus far) 2 front speakers (installed in the passenger and driver's kick panels) and 2 rear shelf speakers.

If you ordered a stereo sound system (AM/8 in dash, am/fm stereo, etc) the factory would have installed 2 front speakers and 2 rear speakers because you needed 4 speakers for the factory radios.

Hope that doesn't cause too much confusion!

Joe

-auto radio repair tech
-building Team Chevelle's radio info web pages

·
Registered
224 Posts
I lost the Freakin' receipt! I hate it when I loose receipts to stuff for my car.

Anyhow, Look through the catalogs for the two brackets for each side. Once you get those in see what kind of mouting depth you have. I think that is why I bought the radio shack stuff... I believe they where something like 3.5"x5" they where two-way and sound very good.

I have a picture of mine with the front windshield and dash out. You can see EXACTLY the places/brackets i'm talkin' about.

email me...

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the help guys, but you wont believe this............

Okay, today for the first time I took a REALLY good look at my dash, and I noticed the two speaker grills on the top!!!! I have no idea how i missed them before!! However, there are no speakers in the dash, and just today I found out that the 8-track that was in this car is not an original that GM put in the 72 model!!! Seems as if someone tried to do a little stereo work on it back in the mid 70's and really screwed it up. Oh well, I seem to have it all straight now and even put in a new Pioneer CD player(yes I know your not SUPPOSED to cut the dash, all of the originallity guys are gonna be on me now...
)But I just have to have some good cruisin tunes while I'm whoopin up on the local rice boys at the stoplights. I guess I was a real dough head on this one, but thanks for the info guys.

------------------
Joe Scott

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
I guess I'm getting lost with all the e-mail trafic. The original Chevy dashpads were set up for either a single center speake or two side speakers. It depended on what you ordered. From below you can see the holes in the poly but if not used, the top plastic was not punched out. The original side speakers were screwed onto the speakers, not rivoted. Also, there are aftermarket side speakers, with a bracket, that will fit into the existing frame holes. Have had my 72 since October 71.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
The attachment "ears" were rivoted to the speakers and the speakers were bolted to the dash. That's the way my 70 has been since I bought it new in May of 1970. When I finally replaced them two years ago, I had to drill out the rivots and transfer them to the "replacement" speakers. Kept the originals, though, because after 500,000 miles of "tunes" who could throw them away?!

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
The size of the two front speakers is 4"x6"

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Okay, now that Joe's question is answered, here's mine...

In 68 was there an option for two front speakers in the dash pad? If so, do I just have to order a new dash pad to be able to put front speakers in or is it more complicated than that?

thanks! And coppertop...hurry up with those pages!

------------------
--Amanda :)

Proud owner of a 68 ElCam

http://www.geocities.com/el_camino_ca/

"A truly wise man never plays leapfrog with a Unicorn."

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Amanda,

Yes, a "dual" dash pad was originally available with the 1968 model line. However, since you have an El Camino, it would have NEVER came from the factory with a stereo dash pad, because stereo equipment could not be ordered on El Caminos (because they lacked a "rear shelf" for rear speakers and stereo equipment needed 4 speakers)

I'm not too familiar with the '68's, but by right, if you figure out how to mount two front speakers in the allowed dash space, (after all it's a Chevelle dash and shouldn't be a problem
) you could then order a "stereo" dash pad and be on your way. The hardest part would be finding or making parts for the left and right mounting brakets since it sounds like your vehicle was originally a mono (single) center dash speaker and doesn't have them.

Perhaps another '68 owner could help...
Oh, Byfield

[This message has been edited by Coppertop (edited 02-16-2000).]

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Alright, I stand corrected on the 72 brackets. Don't have the speakers anymore but the brackets lack threads. Must have been rivoted. There are after market replacement side speakers sold for the 70/72 Chevelle. The brackets are cheap looking compared to the original, but bolt in without making a bracket. I replaced mine with a set. Original Parts Group 1-800-Chevelle carries them as #CAS72WS for the cheaper set and KAS72WS for the 50 watts. Listed at $28.95 & $79.95. These may work on the 68.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.