Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing the front shocks on my 68 4 door and I need to replace the lower mounting nuts and bolts. I read here that the nut should be a prevailing torque lock nut, but I cannot find anything like that with the "c-clip" that is needed to hold the nut on the lower arm.

I purchased a "repro" set of nuts and bolts and they have the clip and look original, but they are not lock nuts. How do you think I should make this connection secure? Should I use a split or other locking washer? Locktite? Something else?

Thanks!

John W.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
After searching everywhere locally for clips that would work, I ordered the re-pro clips and installed them using loc-tite. Can't imagine needing more on a stocker, or even on cars at the performance level of mine.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks! I was even thinking of cutting the nuts off the repro clips and welding on self-locking nuts, but I figured I would probably distort the nuts (or clip) by welding them.

·
Super Moderator
9,563 Posts
You really don't need loktite.
Just tighten to spec and you should be OK.

·
Premium Member
1,086 Posts
Did you use Red or Blue Loc-Tite?

I usually use the blue on stuff like this. Levon is probably right in that it doesn't need any at all; but I am pretty OCD and use it evrerywhere.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts