Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I spent A long New Years weekend repairing the wiring harness and chasing electrical gremlins in my 1966. I had to straighten out a birds nest under the dash, replace some light sockets and solder pretty much every connection throughout the car. Everything works perfectly now.
I'm not just bragging, but I do have a question.
When I pull the headlight switch out half way, the front driving lights that are in the front bumper come on. When I pull the knob out the rest of the way, the headlights go on and the front driving lights go out. I thought they were supposed to stay on. I pulled the headlight switch and checked for power on the front marker terminal and the power did go out on that circuit when the switch was pulled out the rest of the way. I installed a new headlight switch to solve that and other electrical problems that I had. I traced the wiring diagrams and the underhood wiring harness and I cannot see anywhere else there could be a problem. Are these supposed to go out when the headlights come on?
Thanks for your help.

Kevin C

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thats the way it works buddy. I think it was 68 when the markerlights stayed on with the headlights, but cant remember for sure. So it looks like you did it right

------------------
Chris Mellow
1970 Chevelle Malibu dark blue 350/TH350

~Big blocks make your Heartbeat faster. Too bad I dont have one.... oh wait, yes I do!!!

~"We always take my car cus' its never been beat, and we never missed yet with the girls we meet, I get around!!" Beach Boys

See my Page

·
Premium Member
4,476 Posts
Chris is right,

It was not until the 1968 model year when the marker lamps stayed on when the headlamps where lit. This was apart of the new safety movement to go with government mandates that required side marker lamps on vehicles.

·
Registered
93 Posts
If you would like to have the parking lights on when the headlights are on, all you have to do is release the parking light wire (purple, if I remember correctly) from the connector, and reinsert into an open slot at the opposite end providing there is an unused light switch terminal corresponding to the slot. I have done this to a 67 Chevelle and a 65 Impala over 2 years ago, and it works great. The parking lights-only position still works correctly, and the parking lights remain on when the headlights are switched on. This modification is also completely reversible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts