Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this question earlier but the subject line wasn't as clear. We have drivers side plastic, passenger side steel. This can't be correct.

thanks in advance

·
Registered
158 Posts
sounds correct to me because i have had several 69s that have had 1 metal and 1 plastic, all of them were AC cars on my end and i have had a couple that were both plastic AC cars & 1 that was both metal non AC car, no rime or reason to it, guess it was what they had on the shelf...
I can tell you that the repo plastic ones suck!!!! i bought a set and now i am going back and buying the metal repos....

------------------

Two Things Dad Always said dont lend,, Your Car And Your Wife...

·
Registered
638 Posts
I know that either plastic or metal could be correct for a 70, but BOTH??? My Kansas City built 70 had metal, but my current Baltimore built, (3rd week of January), 70 has plastic. Both are OEM. My guess is that someone has replaced one of yours. Probably the plastic is a replacement since they're a bit cheaper than the metal ones.

------------------
Bob Von Kaenel
Lincoln, NE
70 SS 402ci+.030 TH400 3.73 posi Cranberry Red

We've not been called upon to hold the fort, but rather, to storm the heights!

·
Registered
777 Posts
My 70 has plastic on the passenger side, and metal on the driver side. they are the original wells. My best guess was that they put the plastic one under the battery because of corrosion. But, to be honest, I don't know the rhyme or reason to it.

------------------
Better Late than Never Fred
Team Chevelle #400
ACES #4055
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me, than a frontal lobotomy.
1970 Chevelle Malibu

·
Registered
173 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the help. This clears up everything, or does it? Ha!

Thanks again

·
Registered
171 Posts
I have never seen a chevelle with 2 different types of inner fenders, this includes many cars I've seen in junk yards over the years, I suspect maybe they had one or the other changed over the years, I have found that K.C cars have metal and Arlington cars had plastic for 70 and Canadian cars had plastic in 69. this is just what I've observed over the years.

·
Registered
400 Posts
This has been discussed on here several times,and a lot of folks have said that they have both 1 plastic and 1 steel,as did my 72. The plastic ones allways seem to be on the passengers side. As Riffers70 mentioned, it is bcause of the corrosion by the battery. I have also been told the same thing by a couple of different parts suppliers.

------------------
Dennis Jones TC Member#940 72 Malibu Project

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.