Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am having trouble with both my 65 chevelle and elcamino. On both of these cars, the bolts on the end of the crossshafts in the upper control arms keep backing out. Both of the cars have been recently aligned. I have tried using loctite on the bolts but they still back out and let the bushings fall out.

Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
71 Posts
Tim,
You're talking bolts, not nuts, right? I have bolts on my '65 also. It's not yet been on the road, so I haven't experienced your problem, but... Have you considered using loctited(or tacked) studs and locknuts? Just an idea, sounds like a scary problem I don't want to face. Let us know what you come up with.
Thanks, Bryan

------------------
'65 Malibu frame-off project(slow going!)
'70 C-20 Longhorn p/u (daily driver)

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
Are your bolts striped ? Its kind of odd that you have two cars doing this. I would replace the crosshafts if this is the case.

------------------
CFR.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Clean the threads with lacquer thinner and then use Loctite "stud and bearing mount".

The "stud and bearing mount" mix is different than the standard Loctite due to it still offering resistance to turning after the nut (or bolt) has been broken loose.

------------------
Wes. Vann
Technical Reference section
Gold Member #5

·
Registered
548 Posts
You say the bolts back out and the bushings fall out?I'd say there is something wrong with the bushings or the control arms.These should be a press fit in the arms and the bolt is to lock every thing together...FRED

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The part of the bushings that fall out is the inner steel and inner polyurethane part. The outter steel part of the bushing that is pressed in stays right where it is. this actually used to happen on my 71 Chevelle also. This problem seems to follow me to every car I own.
Also, they are the kind where the bolt is threaded into the ends.
After looking at the bolts, they do not look stripped at all.
I will try the other loctite and see if that works. If not, I will buy another pair of cross shafts

Thanks much,
Tim

[This message has been edited by TimG (edited 11-28-99).]

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.