Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I posted a while back about a front end sound that was coming from the passenger side of my 65 chevelle.

When parked and I pull up and push down on the car, the passenger side of the suspension makes a lound knocking sound. I have been trying to track this noise down and thought I had finally gotten it.
I was able to pinpoint the noise to be coming from the coil spring area. I looked at the spring and it was not in its runner (groove). So I rented a spring compressor and turned the spring so it was sitting in its runner.
Well, Noise was still there. So, I turned the spring some more thinking the spring was hitting on the end of the groove it sits in. Today, I drove it up and down the block and the noise was gone. Well, I had to take the spring compressor back to the parts store, half way there I heard the kock again. For a few miles it would not do it very mauch. On the way back from the store it got worse and worse until it does it over nearly every bump. Its like the spring was working its way back or something.
Am I looking in the right place in thinking its the spring?
Could it be one of the control arms? If so, what could cause the spring to knock on whatever it is its knocking on?
I am at wits end here, getting very frustrated about this sound, any suggestions or Ideas would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Premium Member
589 Posts
What kind of shape are your control arm bushing's in? Also, have you checked if any shim's may have fallen out of control arm shaft's, they tend to loosen over time. Just a couple of thought's

------------------
Nick P.
Team Chevelle Gold #36

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I rebuilt and aligned the whole front end of the car. I also converted the car to disc brakes. All bushings are new polyurethane. So I am pretty sure it is not the bushings.

[This message has been edited by TimG (edited 07-05-99).]

·
Registered
19 Posts
Just wondering if you have put any grease in the ball joints . Ihad a 67 post i neglected to grease after putting in new ball joints .I went through the same thing trying to figure it out . the car would clunk when you pushed the front down and clunk again if you pulled right back up on it .
Brian L aces#1432

·
Registered
119 Posts
Just a thought but could the noise be coming from the brake pads? The outboard shoe needs to be tight in the caliper. A lot of people will not bend the tabs on the pad to make them tight and you will get a noise everytime you hit a bump. Try driving the car with your foot on the brake lightly over a rough road and see if it makes a diference.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.