Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have just about finished tearin down my front end.(fenders, inner fenders ect.)What would you guys use to put it back?My thoughts are possibly replacing all the bolts to stainless.I'm not building a show car,just a really nice driver.Any pros or cons to stainless?Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
91 Posts
You can buy a complete fastner kit from Ground Up.This includes all the bolts for the front clip.If you really want stainless its going to cost you more money,and you might have a hard time finding all the sizes you need.Stainless might not rust but its also not as strong as the steel bolts that were on your car.I guess its a personal preference issue.I'm not sure if any of the suppliers have kits in stainless.Maybe someone else here could give you more info. I know the kit I got was under $30.and even included the fender shims.Good Luck with your project.

------------------
Ricky-G 68 L78 Chevelle SS, 69 Z-28,95 Firebird,72 Chevy pickup,
TC#1411
http://hometown.aol.com/cheveller396/myhomepage/index.html

·
Premium Member
263 Posts
I have also heard that the stainless bolts threads will gall or strip out if not careful.

------------------
Nathan Brandt
The more cubes the better!!!
70 SS 396 4spd under restoration
71 SS 454 clone 8.8 1/8 on pump gas and 8" slicks
60' 1.949 & 77 MPH
Team Chevelle # 1143
My 71 SS 454 clone

·
Registered
66 Posts
Year One has a front-end fastener kit that contains all of the hardware for the inner fenders, fenders, headlights, hood hinges, etc. They also have hardware for the bumper brackets (chromed capped), They also have the hard-to-find grade 8 bolts for the upper control arms (they have a knurled part right below the head of the bolt where it goes into the frame.

------------------

G

·
Hard to find? Try your friendly GM dealer, they had them in stock when I bought mine, about two months ago.

------------------
www.muncie4speed.com
Gold 67
There is nothing like rowing through the gears at 7500. Stick cars are so much fun they should be a controlled substance!

·
Registered
13,123 Posts
I have one car (my Cutlass) which I replaced ALLLLLL the smaller bolts/nuts/washers with stainless. I can't say about other cities around the country, but here in Okla City, there is a big fastener co. which has EVERYTHING, including a huge stainless inventory. Yes, stainless is more expensive. Yes, stainless bolt/nut combinations can gall, but stainless bolts on a steel nut or a steel bolt on a stainless nut seldom ever gall. When using stainless bolt/nut combos, just add a little lubricant to the threads. Motor oil in a squirt can seems to work fine. Trust me, a stainless bolt, attaching a fender to the body (many times the original bolts rust, seize and break off when you try to remove them), with a little oil on the threads, will come off years down the road when a steel one will rust and seize. Look in your yellow pages for bolt or fastener stores. Some of the really big hardware stores (Lowes, Home Depot) have a limited stainless inventory. But not like a store that specializes in fasteners.

------------------
Tom Parsons

·
Registered
6 Posts
If you want to go stainless, go to totallystainless.net, they sell entire kits for all years of chevelles, and many other cars. The kits are nice because they know the correct sizes and it saves a lot of measuring and guesswork for you. They also sell an entire stainless suspension kit, it may be pricey, but for my project, I am trying to go entirely with stainless. Very easy people to work with also, get one of their catalogs because there is a plethora of sizes, head types, and style stainless bolts from low to high strength. Hope this helps

Matt B.
70 Chevelle project

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks folks,you've helped a bunch.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.