Team Chevelle banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

I just replaced all the bushings, tie rods, ball joints, and sway bar etc. on my chevelle now i just need to find out where the best place to get my wheels aligned in maryland. I'd perfer a place in Montgomery county, but do you guys know of a good place that could take care of me?
Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,194 Posts
Sorry, a little out of my area, hopefully some other Md Chevelle members will see this thread and pop in. Ask at cruises and car shows.

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
your garage- with some string, a pair of jackstands, a carpenter square, a tape measure, a 3 foot level, and if you want to get all fancy- an angle finder.
i did my Nova at home, and when i had it put on a fancy new laser 4 wheel alignment rig at a shop where my cousin worked, it was right where i wanted it.

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
Hey Novaderrick,
do you have the procedures to do the allignment in your garage with the aforementioned tools? I would be interested in attempting this on my car. Could you post or PM these? Thanks

·
Registered
18,901 Posts
i just made it up as i went along.. i put a couple of extra shims in the rear upper control arm mounts to set the caster somewhat close- i didn't have an angle finder, so i never actually checked it until we put it on the alignment rig at the shop- then i used the carpenter square to set the top of the tire a little bit in from the bottom to get the camber set(maybe 1/4" or so farther in at the top- i just made sure it was the same on both sides-but an angle finder would make this easier) then i lined up the string along the side of the car with a jackstand in front of and behind the car with the string lined up with the sidewall of the rear tire and used that as a reference to set the toe in.
this was on a 71 Nova, and all the parts were brand new. i spent a few hours figuring out how to make it work, and a few more hours screwing around until the steering wheel was perfectly centered.
i was actually inspired by all my years of watching NASCAR races, and when they were patching up a car that hit the wall hard or something, they used the string method to align it and get it back out on the track without losing too many laps.

·
Premium Member
450 Posts
Check out this thread for a procedure. I followed it on my 66 SS and it worked great for camber and caster. I used the string procedure mentioned by Derrick for toe in.

http://www.chevelles.com/forums/showthread.php?t=209475

One suggestion: For the caster adjustment, you need to be able to turn the front wheels to the right and left. You would like to do this with little resistance. Shops use tables under the wheels so they turn easily. Some have suggested using two floor tiles with grease inbetween. I found that two sheets of polyethylene cut from gallon jugs (milk, ww washer fluid, etc.) uder the front wheels works great. You can even use an old polyethylene drop sheet painters use. The polyethylene is thin, tough, won't rip, and lets you turn the wheels with one finger on the steering wheel.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.