Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I purchased new rotors, claiper rebuild kit (seals), brake pads for my 69 Chevelle , today jsut when I thought I would finally make some progress, I found that the caliper/brakes pads wont fit over the the new rotors when assembled, looks like a little over a 16th of an inch or so shy of fitting. Only thing I noted was on the single piston calipers, the new seal (dust) boot, the metal ring is sticking out a little bit. I've tried pounding this ring into the groove further (carefully) with no luck. Any help would be appreciated..Thanks

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
The piston has to be fully pressed into the caliper or you won't be able to install the brake assembly on the spindle. As for the boot, here's how I install them. After the o-ring is in place, I work the boot into the groove on the caliper. I coat the piston with brake fluid. I install the bleeder and then using low pressure compressed air, I blow air into the caliper housing through the hole where the brake line attaches while holding the piston against the outer lip of the boot to form a seal. This takes a little practice, but when done right, the boot inflates over the piston and you can then press the piston into the bore. The trick is timing it so that you stop the airflow as soon as the boot has expanded enough to slide over the bottom of the piston. I've blown the piston right back out many, many times. Be sure to use low pressure air and go easy on the blow gun trigger.
If the boot is not seated in the groove and the piston is already in, no amount of beating or cussing will get it in

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
I've run int the same problem with pads not fiting on the disc. On two differnt vehicles 96 Impalla and a 81 gmc,both times I had tried using the raybestos pads that the metal backing was painted red. went to autozone and got a set of performance friction pads and inst with no problems. check the pads you have now to see if they have shims glued to the backing,peel it off.

------------------
PhilMullaly Member562 72camino TPI proj

·
Registered
548 Posts
Those are not shims they are for anti squeek anti rattle.I always use a big C clamp to push the piston all the way in,never have any that don't fit,sometimes on old rotors the lip that forms on the outer edge will have to be removed...FRED

------------------

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the input, I looked a little closer and it appears that the piston is set in far enough, but the metal ring around the dust boot seal that the piston sits in is whats actually giving me the problem. I've trie pounding carefully w/block of wood. still no luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.