Team Chevelle banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I goofed up. I pulled apart the front end of my '69 Malibu and stripped, degreased, blasted and painted the A arms. Today I went to install the new Energy Suspension polyurethane bushings and the instructions say some thing like 'Before removing old bushings measure the outside distance between the old bushings and record'. Ops. It's been at least twenty years since I've done one of these and don't remember that part. :confused: I'm thinking on the lowers if I measured the distance between the inside faces of the outer frame mounts and used that on the thrust faces of the bushings I should be alright. On the uppers I would just try to keep the spacing between the arm and the shell the same so as not to throw the inclination off. Is there a reference for these dimensions anywhere that I could use or do I just trial and error it? Anyone else been here before?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes they do but for some reason they wanted you to use the old spacing as a check. I'm pretty comfortable with using the dimensions from the frame mounts and just easing the bushings in untill it feels right, just wondering if anyone else has done this for my own 'feel good' factor.

·
Registered
5,179 Posts
Its probably just for reference because the bushings have to be seated against thier shoulders otherwise the control arm could walk.If the arms are not supported correctly during bushing inst.-rem. the arms can bend.My bet is its just to check the di.mention after bushing installation

1 - 4 of 4 Posts