Chevelles.com banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So while putting on all the parts for the bumpers. I thought I'd look to see how the guards fit...Not very well.

I did have both bumpers replated and they have been in the house ever since...Now the front bumper was beat back into submission due to the accident it had... I did hand in three bumpers for the plater to use and he chose the original saying it was easier to fix the dents than it was to take out a couple of deep creases in the other two.
I marked it on back with initials and see them there today so I know it wasn't switched out.

So the guards fit kinda loosely around the top of the bumper and it is a stretch to get the lower bolt holes to line up.
I wonder if they all fit like this or is it due to my bumper being pounded back into shape.
Or will they be made to fit once put on and bolted to bumper...Slightly distorting the shape of the bumper?

When I got the guards they were already on a 68 front bumper...one of the bumpers I took in...now sold of course.
Also was there any kind of rubber that went on the edge of the guard to stop any scratching of the bumper? I know about the rubber on the front. I mean the edge that comes in contact with the bumper. I don't think I remember them having that...

Here are the pics sorry the bumper is hanging upside down to work on it but you'll get it

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Looking at them and it's only the fronts..the rears fit perfectly...so it must have been them pounding the bumper in the jig...not quite enough curl on the top.
I am thinking I have to have them plated anyways so why not grind out a little from the guards to make them fit properly...?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So I did just that... I made the Guards fit the Bumper.. I either use them on it or not and once re plated they will look like the Bumpers do.
I ground off maybe an 1/8th of an inch on the rear part of the guard and just marked the amount needed each time with a Sharpie so I got the right arc from the bumper.
Went to the belt sander and a Fine file.
I think they look way better than before.

·
Premium Member
4,822 Posts
You now have a better fit than the factory did!

Reactions: Capt Casey

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks Chris! means a lot coming from a seasoned pro like yourself!

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey Ben How are you doing?
Thanks for compliment!
I did keep the old strips and have a set of the repro one's thinking that I may use the steel bolt insert they have for the old strips as they are in pretty good shape!
I tried to heat up a set that was really chewed up and re insert the metal bolts and it worked pretty well, although the wife didn't like me using her oven...or was it that I said it smelled better than last nights supper...Hmmmm? thinking...thinking....
I did get a really good set of the repro ones and have to see how they look first...
I just found an old plater that is still in business and does a lot of plating for Motorcycles so he said he'd look at the guards...Not many left doing Nickel Chrome not here...and this old guy I used 30 years ago and is still in the City about 1 mile from my home and the dude is still alive and kicking! in his 90's!!!!
Thank heavens!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts