Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My GF just had her front brakes done on her '02 Saturn. Pads and rotors. The cost? $282!!!!

$61.34 for the rotors (seems about right)
$105 in labor ($70/hr) (ok, sure)
and... get this... $91.56 for the PADS. Yeah right.

+tax.

Unreal.

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
Sounds like you went to the dealership.

My wife did this without me knowing for the rear brakes on our 00 300M. came home with a $250.00 bill for pad replacement and using the OLD rotors.

I was a bit PO'd and tempted to make her sleep in the car for a week or so.

Did the whole front brakes - new hawk pads, new powerslot rotors, brand new calipers for half or less of that.

Could of spend 40 bucks on the rear. I have a ton of beer money credit now though :D

·
Registered
230 Posts
just had mine done on a 04 buick rendevous a friends shop total was 170.26 36.79 rotors 55.47 front pads 72.00 labor 6.00 tax Mike

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If I wasn't so damn busy I would've done it myself. Next time I'll make the time. Live and learn.

edit: And no, this was at a local shop. I'd NEVER allow her to go to a dealer. The sad thing is I recommended the guy. He's always been fair with me in the past, but it looks like he's changing his ways.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Call the dealer and ask them how much brake pads are. If they are alot lower call the service manager and ask why it costs so much to walk over to the parts counter to get them? See what they say. Plus I gaurentee you the OTC price to you joe public is higher than want the shop is paying for them.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
I honestly think those rotor prices are a little cheap, especially if they are true GM/AC Delco. $30.50 a rotor. Pads seem a little exorbant, but $230 doesn't seem too far out there.

This is what I pulled up off of Rockauto for Delco parts.
  • ACDELCO Part # 17D819CH {replaces 17D819C #19165982} PAD KIT,FRT DISC BRK 4 DOORS; INCLS HARDWARE $65.99
  • ACDELCO Part # 18A1092 {replaces 88927496 #88927496} ROTOR,FRT BRK DURASTOP $76.79 (per rotor IIRC)

You guys have 7.5% taxes up there? :eek:

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I honestly think those rotor prices are a little cheap, especially if they are true GM/AC Delco. $30.50 a rotor. Pads seem a little exorbant, but $230 doesn't seem too far out there.

This is what I pulled up off of Rockauto for Delco parts.
  • ACDELCO Part # 17D819CH {replaces 17D819C #19165982} PAD KIT,FRT DISC BRK 4 DOORS; INCLS HARDWARE $65.99
  • ACDELCO Part # 18A1092 {replaces 88927496 #88927496} ROTOR,FRT BRK DURASTOP $76.79 (per rotor IIRC)

You guys have 7.5% taxes up there? :eek:
Who knows what he put on there. It's 5.5% tax. I guess that would make the bill $272. Yeah, the first thing I did was check Rock Auto's prices to verify. What the heck kind of pads were they to be $91.56??? Gold plated?? Crazy.

·
Premium Member
1,712 Posts
Just paid $29 a piece for full size Bronco rotors and $16.95 (both sides)for metalic brake pads. Those $90 pads must be ceramic??!! Wow!
I'm sure my rotors and pads are China specials but those AC Delcos probably are too.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
I have heard of people getting quotes at the big name brake shops pushing $1000 for a complete brake job. Give me a break!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
One of my good friends went to a WELL KNOWN shop with her 85 BMW and they told her she needed new rotors and pads, front and rear. They said it was going to cost $800 for the front and $400 for the rear!!!! She luckily called me and I told her no way in hell and she said they tried to talk her into it by saying that BMW parts all come from Germany blah blah blah...

I told her to bring her car down on the weekend (lives in Huntington Beach) and I'd have all the parts ready. I went to Kragens and got the rotors for about $20 each and the pads for about $22 a set! Did them that weekend. Sad part was, the rears looked fine! I mean, they had wear but still a good 5,000-10,000 miles left! Since I had it apart I changed them anyway.

Her total bill was a whopping $150!!!

About a year later she was in town and went to the same company but this time in my town, for a free "check up" they were advertising. They told her, with me standing right there, that her rack and pinion is bad. I asked how often they should be replaced and he told me every 30,000 miles!!!!! :sad:

And mind you, this is a VERY popular shop that I guarantee you have near you!

·
Registered
7,127 Posts
One of my good friends went to a WELL KNOWN shop with her 85 BMW and they told her she needed new rotors and pads, front and rear. They said it was going to cost $800 for the front and $400 for the rear!!!! She luckily called me and I told her no way in hell and she said they tried to talk her into it by saying that BMW parts all come from Germany blah blah blah...

I told her to bring her car down on the weekend (lives in Huntington Beach) and I'd have all the parts ready. I went to Kragens and got the rotors for about $20 each and the pads for about $22 a set! Did them that weekend. Sad part was, the rears looked fine! I mean, they had wear but still a good 5,000-10,000 miles left! Since I had it apart I changed them anyway.

Her total bill was a whopping $150!!!

About a year later she was in town and went to the same company but this time in my town, for a free "check up" they were advertising. They told her, with me standing right there, that her rack and pinion is bad. I asked how often they should be replaced and he told me every 30,000 miles!!!!! :sad:

And mind you, this is a VERY popular shop that I guarantee you have near you!
If the shop were a man, would everything he touched turn to gold?

·
Registered
5,079 Posts
A local shop advertised "new brakes" for about $150 a while ago. When I stopped and asked, they gave me the runaround like "new brakes are new brakes, of course", "a good overhaul and a free inspection" etc. After asking them several times, they finally told me that it was front pads only, and they would even charge extra if a new hardware kit was needed. I suspect that their "free inspection" also would reveal a lot of extra stuff that they would try to sell while you're in the shop. As usual, I ended up doing it myself. "New brakes", yeah right.

·
Registered
1,591 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Didn't know that. I definitely think its a ripoff, now that I do though. For all you know they could be crappy $20/ea. rotors and $35/set cheapo pads. :sad:

Exactly. I wonder if he has the parts receipt? Hmm.

·
Banned
2,373 Posts
PADS FOR MOST CARS START AT 19 BUCKS AND GO TO 130+
THE CHEAP ONES DON'T LAST.. AND NO SHOP WILL PUT ON PARTS ONLY TO GET BADMOUTHED. cause the pads lasted 15 tho. miles..
90.00 the high end.. but if thats what he uses..
mine are 65 from the dealer.. but I can spend 145.00 if i want to go crazy..
rotors are 102.00 each.. at my discount 145.each..dealer
they are now out aftermarket.. at 69. each..
brakes are not cheap anymore..

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
I worked at Firestone for a while and the "free inspections" rarely ever turned out that way. If a car is more than 3 years old, I can generally find something "wrong" with it.

And as far as brake prices went, I had an Audi A4 and dealership price was $300/per axle. Front, rear, didn't matter. They didn't even consider the rotors. Pitch them and put new ones on. $100/each.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Reading this makes me love my old Chevy pickup even more. It has the non-metallic pads that cost under $20, and because they are softer than the rotors, they don't wear the rotors. So, I get a full front brake job for $20, and it lasts me around 80K miles in city driving!!!:hurray::hurray::hurray:

1 - 20 of 33 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.