Chevelles.com banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know alot of front bench seat cars usually came with a seatbelts for a middle passenger in the front. My 72 Skylark Custom (4dr) only has belts for the passenger and driver side, no middle. Did theese cars ever come with a middle seatbelt for the front? Cause I'd really like to have one. If I got a set from a junkyard or someplace, would they bolt right in or would I have to modify anything?
Oh and would a set from the middle back seat work on the front seat?
Thanks
-Nick

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
They should come with them in the middle...

I think i know what's wrong with your car though.. Same thing that's wrong with mine.
Someone most have shoved the middle seatbelts back underneath the seat...
I also only have driver and passanger... and if i shove my hand between the bottoms parts and the top part, I can feel when.. Hardly, but they are there....

Try doing the same.. They should be there...

Edit:
I just noticed that you've got a 4dr!

Any pics?
I am also a 4dr guy myself

------------------
Shai
1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr

[email protected]
TC GOLD member #1278

[This message has been edited by ChaosMalibu (edited 05-10-2002).]

·
Premium Member
997 Posts
<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by 72skylark:
just checked, definatly no middle belt in there, I can feel where the other come through the seat.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

That's weird...
I guess someone removed them?

They came in every car with a bench in 72...

------------------
Shai
1972 Chevelle Malibu custom 4dr

[email protected]
TC GOLD member #1278

·
Premium Member
997 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It is basically a chevelle with just styling differences... I'm sure the door panels would interchange, they would just be different in style. I don't believe they make ANYTHING reproduction that is 4dr specific... no one wants 4 drs...
but that's why I got my car cheap.
It is possible that someone removed them, but is very unlikely. The original owner bought the car when he was 72... I doubt he would have taken them out... and I'm the second owner...

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
You can easily add the extra belts, they are mounted at the same points as the existing belts. Just remove the bolt holding the belts and add the 3rd belt. The belts all have an eyelet on the end and the bolt goes through them into the floor. You should be able to get the extra belts from a 4dr GM product of similar vintage. The belts may not have been installed because you have the fold down armrest which chevelles do not have. Skylarks and Cutlasses had them, not sure about the lemans.

------------------
Dave
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
72 chevelle
55/57/61 chevies
TC member #493
Never forget Earnhardt!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the info. Actually I do not have a fold down armrest...
Actually the more I think about it, the previous owner may have removed them, he would have had no need for them, and since he was old, all thoose belts may have confused him... lol
It looks like I got a connection for a set, so I'll install them, thanks for all the help, the lady friend will like cruisin' in the middle seat now ;o)

·
Registered
763 Posts
I added a middle seat belt set to my Chevelle. The only problem was that the floor pan bolt was long enough for one belt but too short for two. I just used grade 8 longer bolts to solve the problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for that bit of info. I'll make sure when I get the middle seatbelt set, that I get the bolts that came with it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts