Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own a 1972 chevelle ss 402 I thought the car was fast and had some balls the problem has come recendly I been going to the beach with freinds and I can not do brake stand and also can't sqeull out the best may be do to posi. As teen do the question the power of my chevelle at first it did'nt get to me. Then it did when they told me it has only 250hp when I thought that chevelles produced upward of 325hp stock So what is may problem with chearping may tire and what is the horsepower that it would be horsepower of my engine stock in today standard? I would like or advice and if anyone now from experince what type of car can a 1972 chevelle compared to engine wise to todays car Ex corvette or mustang

·
Registered
144 Posts
Since I'm young (21) like yourself, maybe I can give you some good advice: IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT YOUR FRIENDS THINK!!! Its your Chevelle and they don't have one. No new car will compare to the older ones because they're all electronically controlled. One of the beauties of older cars is raw mechanical horsepower. No computers or wires cluttering the engine compartment. And besides, they're easy to work on. It's simple to bolt on more horsepower to a car like yours and mine. Try doing that to a Toyota or Nissan, for example. You own one of the best cars this country has ever seen. Being able to squeal the tires doesn't mean a whole lot. If you want to find out the horsepower rating (or anything else for that matter), just get the #'s off your engine (stamped on small out-cropping of one of your heads, usually under the alternator) and email Chevy directly: www.chevrolet.com . Be sure to be specific when you ask questions or they won't tell you much. If you need anymore help, this website is, hands down, the best for supplying much needed info. And remember: no question is too stupid to ask. Good luck!

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
Well, first thing to learn is that you don't want to compare your car to a new Vette. It just isn't healthy
It's like comparing smoke signals to a cell phone.

The HP rating varies depending upon which engine you have. There are a variety of engines that were available for each year, so while one 72 SS may be running some massive HP, this doesn't mean that another 72 SS will be a well.

I'd suggest you do a few things:

First and formost, stop listening to your friends. They're just envious of your car and the fact that they're giving you a hard time proves it.

Second, as 72 pointed out, the ability to spin your tires doesn't mean a thing. It' takes far more skill and planning to get a powerful car to not spin the tires than it does to get it to spin.

Third, when you have some time, start reading the old postings on these boards. You'l find a ton of useful info that will help you learn more about the car, built it up, and make your 'friends' look like chumps.

Oh yeah, don't forget: don't go up against a new Vette until you've had a chance to do #1, 2 & 3

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
The Team Chevelle Showroom. [last updated May 17, 99]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/6987/
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
321 Posts
vanrhee,

In 1972, the advertised horsepower ratings for our beloved cars was changed from "at the crank" to "at the wheel". This is why your car's "rating" seems so ridiculously low compared to earlier models. The 1972 models were de-tuned a bit, so you're probably pushing 300hp, at or about.

About your burn-outs and tire chripping, do you have an automatic or manual transmission? A tired automatic may not be transferring the needed power to the ground. A slipping clutch in a manual could rob you of your thunder, too.

Also, if your differential gearing is really high (like between 3.08 --> 2.XX) you'll have less "leverage" at your initial launch and a reduced ability to really let the rubber burn. You will have excellent top end speed however (have you been doing 140mph lately?)

I have a 70 SS396 with factory 4sp and 3.73 posi. Tire squeals are hard to avoid.
"Honest, Officer". In fact, I have a bit of difficulty with keeping my tires on the pavement if I trying to launch.

No offense intended, but you should first re-read your post before sending. It's extremely confusing and convoluted. Is english a second language (which would explain alot)? Again, no offense is intened. But we do need to understand in order to respond.

[This message has been edited by michael j (edited 06-02-99).]

·
Registered
63 Posts
Being a "youngster" myself (20), I can understand your dilemma. But think about it, you have one of the greatest cars ever built in the U.S. of A.! What do your friends drive? Probably something foreign, and thereby NOWHERE near as cool as your Chevelle. Friends or not, if they have a problem with your ride, SCREW 'EM! Also, why would you want to try and compare it to cars of today? They're plastic, computer-controlled crap that are not built with half the quality of that old Chevy. Sorry, got kinda off track there...oh well.

·
Registered
2,938 Posts
You're asking a question that can't be answered provided the info you've given us.

There are Vettes, Camaros, and yes, Mustangs, which would run circles around Chevelle. Likewise, there are some which you could probably beat.

There is no easy answer to your question. Likewise, with all the different engines available to those cars, it's not easy to give HP ratings.

Also, there are a number of different factors which will determine how fast a car is. HP is only one of them, and a big HP rating does not mean a car is fast.

The first thing you need to do is learn about your own car. Not until you have done that can you even begin to work on beating other cars.

Kurt

------------------
The 68 Chevelle info page. [last updated Nov. 30, 98]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Garage/6873/Chevelle/68_Chevelle_Info.html
The Team Chevelle Showroom. [last updated May 17, 99]
www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Boulevard/6987/
Email: [email protected]
A.C.E.S. #1352

·
Registered
567 Posts
First and Foremost, "REAL" friends don't make fun of you to the point of disgust you've described!! You need new friends dude!
Fortunately you've taken the first step to true friendship by joining this forum. Here you will find people willing to help and listen to your Chevelle problems whatever they may be and most of all not criticize you.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Mustang GT=260 hp. Mustang Cobra 320hp approx. Vette=345 hp. Z-28=305hp approx.
Blown 5.0 Mustang with TFS heads= approx 450 hp

·
Administrator
16,202 Posts
I've got a 6 cyl Camaro that will spin the tires and it is by no means fast or powerful just geared right. I agree with junglejimmie,if they are friends they wouldn't be so critical, my best friend drives a F**d and we give each other a hard time ,but it is all in fun. If they have a problem with your chevelle it is because they are to self centered to be a friend to anybody. You are among friends now!!!

[This message has been edited by 64elcamino (edited 06-02-99).]

·
Registered
622 Posts
If you are running wide tires on the rear, they will make it much more difficult to spin - after all that is the primary reason for having them (besides looks).Try narrow tires with high pressure. Is your engine worn ?? Low compression?? Tuned??Type of trans?? Rear end ratio?? Weight in car (5 friends and tools/junk in the trunk can add 1200 pounds ) All this contributes to wheel spin.
As far as "brake stands" go, if your brakes are really working well, it becomes hard to do this as the rear brakes will hold too well.
Wheel spin may be cool, but IS NOT an indicator of power without knowing all of the above.
Submit your VIN no and engine no. to the "tag team" of this site for more HP info.

------------------

·
Registered
53 Posts
While I don't condone burn outs or brake stands there are right ways and wrong ways to do them. First on a brake stand. Release the brakes. At the same time floor it. Quickly apply the brakes again, feather them for the amount of forward movement you want. Only apply them as much as you need to get your forward motion like you want. Practice away from your lame freinds until you get it right. To everyone else I know that a nice running car will burn them off without having to release the brakes floor it and then grab them again. Cars with less power need this little help. If you can't burn them off by doing this then something is drasticaly wrong. I would suggest popping the hood and trouble shooting the whole system. Start at with the fuel system, then ignition...Also Pam spray or baby oil and water sprayed on the wheel wells and rear fender make cleaning off burnt rubber easier.....Ward

·
Registered
8 Posts
vanrhee, raw power is nice to have available, but it isn't everything. If you have a good running car without problems, you are one step ahead of the game. I have a 72 Chevelle (or should I say Malibu?) with a 307 with a 2 barrel carb. Knowing how to drive the car also helps. My little 307 took down a Buick Grand National in the 1/4 mile because the fool didn't know how to drive it. He was ragging on my car before the race, but when I kicked his butt he was very upset that he was beaten by such a small motor and a 2 bbl carb!!! I had friends that have 2nd generation Camaros. Yeah, they beat the Chevelle, but I end up catching up to them when they bust something on down the road. My primary point is that it is your car and if it runs great and you are happy with it, to hell with what everyone else thinks. I also have a 68 SS396 Chevelle. Alot of people give me a hard time for how conservatively I drive it. My response to this is I know what she will do and the power is there if I need it. No need to abuse it. Good luck on your car.

Johnny

------------------

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Hey, if you really want to waste your tires buy a linelock and a charge card from a national tire store. Don't freak out on it. To give you a frame of reference, some of us spend a bunch of time and $$ trying to set up our rear suspension so the tires DON'T SPIN. You know, a huge chirp and air under your front tires is WAAAAY cooler than smoke!
But seriously, don't sweat it and if you really want to melt tires get a line lock.

------------------

·
Registered
1 Posts
Like some of the other people have said, its your car and your friends are probably just envious. First thing you need to do is buy a book and decipher all the codes. I suggest
"Chevelle SS Restoration Guide" by Paul Herd.
It has very good information in it about the location of all the codes and what they mean.
You can get it thru the Barnes and Noble web site.

As for burning the tires, this can be a lot of fun but doing in the wrong places can be dangerous not to mention get you in trouble.
I personally got a ticket once when I was your age for reckless driving and all I did was a little burnout in a parking lot.(I'm 39 now and still like to burn the tires on my 69SS). Also, mechanically, burning the tires can be hard on any car. I owned a 69 Roadrunner years ago that I bought from a friend. The 4 speed tranny broke right after I bought it. You see my friend loved to burn the tires all the way thru 1st and 2nd gear (man would it burn the tires, especially since he had studded snow tires on the back)
and I'm sure this is what tore up the trans.

Anyway, good luck with your car and the next time you pull up next to one of those rice burners with a 3" tail pipe, blow em away.

------------------

·
Registered
336 Posts
Nobody answered one of your first questions. The 72 402 was rated at 240HP net while the 65-70 396 varied from 325 to 375 HP gross. The 71 402 was lower but I don't remember the #'s (I know, the 65 vette had 425 HP) The net hp is lower since it is measured with all the accessories, air cleaner exhaust etc attached and the gross ratings are like typical dyno results. Also I aggree that something is not right with your motor as it should fry the tires just by flooring it. Brakestands can be hard to do if your back brakes are not adjusted properly.

------------------

·
Registered
4,961 Posts
About the brake stands, DON'T DO IT!! It looks cool at the dragstrip but you should remember, at the dragstrip, it's done on wet pavement in the burnout area. On dry pavement, it plays hell on rear end gears. I know, because because I shredded the spider case in a Dana 60 back when I was in high school. The spider gear cross shaft ate into the housing and what was a 3/4 inch round hole (bore for the cross shaft) became a 2 inch long oval. I had to learn the hard way, plus I had to change the third member myself. Smoking burnouts look neat, but remember, the sooner you get traction, the better your et's will be. And you're less likely to over rev your engine. We don't want to discuss the damage that can cause. So tell your bum friends that you've got your car set up for maximum traction at the starting line. If they're smart, they may even ask how you did it. Otherwise, skroooooo them!!

·
Registered
18 Posts
and yes, the posi will make it harder to spin them,since you have to spin them "BOTH"

So your friends think that if you can't do a power stand, your car is woosie. do they know that single wheel burnouts are a joke?

I just love to see weeinies at stoplights spinning a one leg rear end around the corner with a "power smile" reaching for their ears.
Once had a honda cvcc that really cooked the tires in reverse (FrontWheelDrive) It would spin circles all day long. I know the guy who has it now. You want I should send him over to prove to your friends that the weeiniest putmobile you ever saw can spin one tire. (1100cc 3 cyl motorcycle engine)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.