Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
on my 71 chevelle 454, i was getting no response from turning the key on occasion. imy battery is in the trunk. i followed my battery cables all the way to the block. they are fine. but the wires from the starter to the alternator are corroted. it has a green tint on the wire. is ther a ground out somewhere? whats going on?? any possible suggestions? i did replace the battery terminal connectors and it starts now, but that cant be the reason.

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
With a trunk mounted battery the battery connections could have been the cause of the starting problem. The starter requires a lot of current and poor battery connections could contribute to starting problems. If you don't experience the occasional problem again, good chance you got it.
The corroded wire, from starter to alternator, won't cause a starting problem. It may cause a charging problem. The green/blue stuff is copper oxide (copper rusting). Caused by acid/moisture attacking the copper. Best just to change this wire out.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts