Chevelles.com banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.k., I know I'm an amateur when it comes to wiring, but I'm just getting confused with this new harness. The original harness on my '70 Malibu seems to be in two pieces, but the Painless is only one piece... Does the painless harness combine the two pieces into one to save space? And i may just be missing this (i'm not very patient when it comes to electrical work, i hate it) but what about the dummy lights and all that stuff, inside the dash? should i remove the bezel and figure it out like that? Any help with this would sure save my sanity!
-Brian

·
Registered
168 Posts
I think you bought the universal harness from them. The GM musclecar one(forget part no) Is exactly like original just newer style fuse box. It connects exactly where the original would and is two seperate pieces.

·
Registered
318 Posts
Bing! I'm right here - Thanks John!

What style harness did you buy? The 12 / 18 circuit universal? The Painless harnesses are all single pieces with LOTS of extra wire so you can get it going to where you need it to go to.

Let's start with what you bought, and what you're trying to hook up.

By "dummy lights" do you mean "idiot lights" If so - it's a pretty easy fix. Just let us know what you're looking for, and what painless kit you bought, and we should be able to steer you in the right direction.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Oh sorry I forgot to mention it's the 12 circuit universal harness. I got T-boned by an old lady and the wires that run along the top of the radiator fell against it and got totally fried. I figured i would just replace the rest of the wires along with them. I can spot most of the wires and where they go, but it just seems like there's alot more wires currently in the dash than the new kit comes with. They look like they just connect to the idiot lights and the dash lights, but I don't see any replacements for those with the new kit... maybe it's just because i bought the universal kit. That's what I get for not checking with you guys first. Oh yeah, to make things worse, I walk out to the car to get some more work done, and some punks had shot out my passenger window with a b.b. gun. Gimme a freakin' break! Just one more thing to ruin my motivation, i'm at the point where i don't feel like dealing with this stuff anymore...

·
Registered
318 Posts
Well, we can deal with those punks later - isn't that just a pain?

Anyhow - most of the dash wiring won't be replaced with the Painless kit. It does include wiring that will replace your entire ignition circuit, the whole headlight / interior lighting part of the harness, and some of the instrument wiring. For your dash lights - there should be an existing single point connection to power currently - painless supplies you with the wire that will connect to that. If you want to replace all the individual wires to all the lights, you'll have to work that out yourself. I'd recommend the dash harness that painless makes - it made it real easy for me to wire up all my gauges, and lights.

Let's start with one problem at a time though. Which circuit are you looking to fix right now?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Basically the thing that's confusing me is how the factory fuse box is in two pieces. The one half seems to be the engine/headlights/taillights/ignition, and the other half seems to just be the dash lights and instruments. I don't want to remove any wires before i figure out which ones will actually be replaced. Am I going to end up just leaving the dash wire half of the factory fuse box, and just place the Painless harness over it? The painless harness looks like it will just bolt over it. I hope I'm not confusing you guys too...

·
Registered
318 Posts
No, with the 12 circuit kit, you should be able to remove both fuse boxes. The 12 circuit kit contains enough circuits to hook everything up you'll need. So, I would start by removing both fuse boxes, and installing the painless box where you want it, and then pulling the appropriate wires to the appropriate places.

·
Registered
87 Posts
Hey SNFU Mobile and Cecil

I love your helpers I have 2 girls

one fawn and one brindle

Anyway about the topic

1st of all wiring isn't an easy task you should try to find a helper (of the human kind) that has some wiring experience.

2nd Don't blame painless they only sold you what you ordered. If you would have ordered the muscle car harness you would have got a 2 piece kit but don't worry about that either.

3rd you might want to sell your harness on Ebay or on this site and just buy the FRONT factory replacment harness from factory fit( who makes most of the suppliers harness) or any restoration supplier you might use

if you want to use what you have you will have to isolate each wire and/or circuit and connect it to you painless kit but it seems like a lot of money to spend on the painless if you just want to hook into the front of the car.

4th just rewire the whole car with you painless kit which is a very involved job for a amature (no offense)

Just give it a shot and ask a lot of questions I always say "education is an expensive thing" you have to learn one way or another

AND YOU MUST BE PATIENT it is the only way to do anything electrical

I hope this helps and if you have any specific just post them here.

Stephe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts