Team Chevelle banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometime in the near future I'm going to get the frame straightened. Since the frame has twisted the body a bit, the windshield isn't sitting correctly in its place. So when the frame is being fixed, will the w-shield crack or move in place or should it be taken out?

·
Registered
2,518 Posts
Sometime in the near future I'm going to get the frame straightened. Since the frame has twisted the body a bit, the windshield isn't sitting correctly in its place. So when the frame is being fixed, will the w-shield crack or move in place or should it be taken out?
If you body is twisted, don't think you are going to have much luck with that window sitting in there correct. The window should no sit crooked on a bent frame, but it the body id bent then you gotta lot of work to do.

Can't you just shim the window?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Just as a WAG I would think if the collision didn't break it the slow pulling from the frame machine won't. Might even be nice to have in there to see how it's going. Sounds like a helluva job. Good luck with it.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The previous owner replaced the w-sheild without straightening the frame first. He neglected to tell me that there was damage to the car (probably just forgot:sad: ;) ).

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
If your body and frame are so twisted that the windshield is not sitting right you must have a complete train wreck on your hands. Plus that thing would break before it moves...Eric

Sounds like when the W/S was replaced it wasnt sit in place properly.
You'd see major gap issues and wasted frame in order to twist that windshield post.

·
Registered
4,877 Posts
I was thinking the same thing, possibly only the post or posts got bent maybe??
You would see buckles in the roof the pillars, the door glass gap would be almost non exist. The doors would be opening/ closing hard with a popping sould.

Why not post some pictures of the windshield and the surrounding areas?

·
Registered
2,614 Posts
You would see buckles in the roof the pillars, the door glass gap would be almost non exist. The doors would be opening/ closing hard with a popping sould.

Why not post some pictures of the windshield and the surrounding areas?
I was thinking maybe the frame and posts were from different accidents, like a tree branch or something???

·
Registered
1,456 Posts
pull the windshield, its a structural member, even in a hardtop, especially in a droptop, its true the body/frame are separate units, but they do interact, and since its already wonked, its a no-brainer.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.