Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 65 Chevelle that we are working on at the moment. The frame is in decent condition, but with the motor/transmission combination that we have done, I am concerned a little about the flex on this C channel frame. Since we have done quite a bit of work thus far on the car, and it being my first rebuild, I would like to enjoy the car a bit before popping the body off and boxing the frame.

One idea that I have had after doing a bit of reading is finding a 64 -67 El Camino frame to slide up under the car. This way I could enjoy the current build, then work on doing a mini tub on the El Camino frame and not feel rushed in any way. My thought would be to buy an existing El Camino to accomplish this project, but never doing this before I thought it might be best to reach out to you guys first before pulling the trigger. If you have any advise or suggestions I am all ears.

Is there a document or procedural that would show how one takes the El Camino frame and slides it up under the Chevelle? I have read in some places that they the 64 - 67 El Camino frames should be a direct fit, while other places have said I will need to cut approx. 3.25" out of the Elko frame for fitment.

·
Premium Member
214 Posts
Mike,

If you decide to go that route, I have a 65 El Camino rolling chassis for sale. It came out of my LS2 resto project. It was a California truck and the chassis is in good shape with only surface rust. I bought a "parts truck" early on and rebuilt that chassis and suspension so, I don't need this one. It currently has a 283 engine (condition unknown) and a TH350 in it but, I'm willing to separate it if someone wants only the chassis - or the engine/tranny.

BTW, I believe the El Camino/wagon chassis is a little longer and would need to be shortened to fit under a sedan but, if you set them side-by-side, it should apparent how you need to mod the Camino chassis to make it fit.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you my phone number. I'm in Justin, TX - which is just north of Fort Worth, near Texas Motor Speedway.

·
Premium Member
903 Posts
Boxing the frame really was't that bad of a process. The narrowing/minitub was a bit more involved. I went the more expensive route and used the ABC Performance stuff : Frame Boxing Kit

But if I were in your shoes and it was almost up and running, I might have to do with Skylarkul and get that frame from him and work on that.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
Looks like very nice stuff from ABC!

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

If you decide to go that route, I have a 65 El Camino rolling chassis for sale. It came out of my LS2 resto project. It was a California truck and the chassis is in good shape with only surface rust. I bought a "parts truck" early on and rebuilt that chassis and suspension so, I don't need this one. It currently has a 283 engine (condition unknown) and a TH350 in it but, I'm willing to separate it if someone wants only the chassis - or the engine/tranny.

BTW, I believe the El Camino/wagon chassis is a little longer and would need to be shortened to fit under a sedan but, if you set them side-by-side, it should apparent how you need to mod the Camino chassis to make it fit.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll send you my phone number. I'm in Justin, TX - which is just north of Fort Worth, near Texas Motor Speedway.

Thanks for the response. I sort of stink at responding at times, work has me tied up quite often. Send me a PM and let me know what you need for the roller. I am just looking for a way to enjoy the car, and then do the modifications to a already boxed frame. I do believe I would like to do a mini tub on the boxed frame while it was out of the car. However, I have never done a mini tub and would like to know if there are any pitfalls I might need to know about before diving in.

·
Premium Member
17,566 Posts
Thanks for the response. I sort of stink at responding at times, work has me tied up quite often. Send me a PM and let me know what you need for the roller. I am just looking for a way to enjoy the car, and then do the modifications to a already boxed frame. I do believe I would like to do a mini tub on the boxed frame while it was out of the car. However, I have never done a mini tub and would like to know if there are any pitfalls I might need to know about before diving in.
ABC also offers a kit to notch the frame for a mini-tub job...
Mini Tub Kit

It also includes additional gussets, etc... If wanting to box for extra rigidity, then I'd also add the other gussets and crossmembers too...

BTW, a 64/65 El Camino Frame should be the easiest... 66 & 67 should be similar, but I am not 100% sure on the front frame horns between 65 and 66.

The El Camino frames are the same dimensions as the hardtop/sedan/convertible frames, EXCEPT behind the rear wheels... I think even the mount directly behind the rear wheel is in the same location, its just the rear crossmember behind the bumper on the El Camino is 3" inches further back than a hardtop/sedan...

The side frame rails are the same, EXCEPT they have the additional panel welded in to box the structure (you can even see the "hardtop/sedan" trans crossmember mounts on an El Camino frame... You will need to find/use an El Camino/comnvertivle trans crossmember (or modify your existing one).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts