Team Chevelle banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dropped frame and all was in great shape till I noticed some rot the next morining in daylight. The left rear upper coil spring and shock mount area is very thin. Was sending out to be sanblasted but I think blasting might just eat right through. Having trouble locating this part . I figured there should be a reproduction of it but cant find it:mad:. Is my only chioce to go to a junk yard (theres none left around here) and cut one out of another car? Just want to get it and weld it in. Any advice or recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
I would get it sandblasted, then you can look all of the frame over, get some pictures of the bad areas, and let us see them, you can fix just about anything on these frames, any 110 mig welder will do it.

Rob

·
Gold Founding Member
4,193 Posts
Hi Richie,
PM sent.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Rob, Great job and alot of good info.I'm gonna take some pictures tonight and post em'. My problem is the sandblaster is 2 hours away (cant find anyone local). Guy is very reputable and told me $200 to blast and 400 to powder coat.I,ve seen his work and its beatiful. I would rather go woth paint (like yours) but I have no were to to it and any body shop I talk to wants nothing to do with the job. So this leads me to powder coating. I was thinking about cleaning the sections and doing the repairs before sending it for blasting. How do you feel about powder coating? I got a 70 chevelle and the only rot is on upper left rear spring mount right in the area were the spring sits. If i could find that piece I can move on. Your car is sweet:beers:

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Rob, Great job and alot of good info.I'm gonna take some pictures tonight and post em'. My problem is the sandblaster is 2 hours away (cant find anyone local). Guy is very reputable and told me $200 to blast and 400 to powder coat.I,ve seen his work and its beatiful. I would rather go woth paint (like yours) but I have no were to to it and any body shop I talk to wants nothing to do with the job. So this leads me to powder coating. I was thinking about cleaning the sections and doing the repairs before sending it for blasting. How do you feel about powder coating? I got a 70 chevelle and the only rot is on upper left rear spring mount right in the area were the spring sits. If i could find that piece I can move on. Your car is sweet:beers:
I have seen some really nice powder coated parts and such, but remember, if you have some bad areas you will see most of it even after powder coating.

I would do a little more checking on getting a painter if it was me. Patience is the key here, don't get in a hurry, maybe you could run a separate thread on asking for a painter in your area to help you out.

Rob

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the links. Yeah , I know I soundlike I'm rushing and settling but truth is I 've been workin on car for a year. Gotta a 2 car garage but when I pulled out frame I got it sittin in driveway any my neighbors are looking at me crossed eyed. Not in a rush to get it done, just frustrated that I got know body shop willing to pait yet and I can't find that spring mount (by the way yours sure look good). thanks for takin the time to post them links and I'll still search for a shop.
I got a business with a 2 bay shop. Problem is I got a couple mechanics and there is never a bay availible for a project like this. Maybe I'll have to suck it up and tie up a bay for this project and follow your instructions. Thanks again.

·
Registered
390 Posts
POWDER COATED MINE AND LOVE IT HARD AS A ROCK AND ALMOST INDESTRUCTABLE.I AGREE WITH ROB,CLEAN UP PROBLRM AREAS AND POST PICS.PROBALBLY CAN BE FIXED.
ERIC:beers:

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
hey, you guys should listen to that Rubadub guy. He's one of the best armchair car restorers in the business :D

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
hey, you guys should listen to that Rubadub guy. He's one of the best armchair car restorers in the business :D
A lot of my information comes from Andys posts, he has taught me a lot of things, so if I'm off on something, well I don't have to say anymore.:D

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thanks for all the info guys. This post was very helful as I was contacted by a member who has the rear upper spring pockets/shock mount i was looking for. Frame is going to sandblaster next week. Gonna replace them spring pockets and send it up. Gonna go with the powder coating in a semigloss finish. Oh yea, talk about patience , I can't figure out how to post my pics. I will get them up this weekend. Thanks for the help.

Powdercoat or paint rear diff? what do you think?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts