Team Chevelle banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm gonna be sanding the frame I picked up and I was wondering what would be a good procedure. Should it be primed with something and then painted? I've seen some people use POR-15, some powder coat. What would you guys recommend? Thanks! :thumbsup:

·
Premium Member
105 Posts
Hi Jason,

I have a great powder coater in Baltimore - I had my frame done last year for $450. She blasted and coated the frame for that price. She also did the front upper and lower control arms and core support (there was an additional fee). I have her card and can get you their number if you are interested. Also, you're welcome to come out and look at their work first hand if you are ever near Catonsville!

-Kevin

·
Registered
196 Posts
Jason,
I have a 70 chevelle, I had my frame sandblasted and powdercoated semi-gloss black. Then I've been doing small parts, anything small enough in a old electric stove I picked up and using the Eastwood powdercoat kit, it works great. Everything looks great.
Butch

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Jason,

I have a great powder coater in Baltimore - I had my frame done last year for $450. She blasted and coated the frame for that price. She also did the front upper and lower control arms and core support (there was an additional fee). I have her card and can get you their number if you are interested. Also, you're welcome to come out and look at their work first hand if you are ever near Catonsville!

-Kevin
Thanks for the tip. Catonsville isnt that far from me, I may have to take you up on that! :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jason,
I have a 70 chevelle, I had my frame sandblasted and powdercoated semi-gloss black. Then I've been doing small parts, anything small enough in a old electric stove I picked up and using the Eastwood powdercoat kit, it works great. Everything looks great.
Butch
I saw that kit and was wondering how well the stuff tunred out. Do you have any pictures? Where are you in MD?

·
Registered
1,233 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
196 Posts
everything i've done has turned out great. brackets, control arms, tow hooks for several trucks, a skid plate for a 4 wheeler. I recommend the primer.

·
Registered
20,389 Posts
if you have it blasted, use epoxy. If you don't want to go the blasting route, use POR 15

·
Premium Member
8,794 Posts
Fill it?[/quote

Fill it means, you put body filler on the rough areas of it, then sand it out so it looks good.

Red scotch brite pads work good. You want it so when they open the hood and look in the engine compartment, that frame looks nice and smooth. At least take the time to do the parts of the frame that they can easily see, after you get it done you will be glad you did it.

Its one of those deals, you might have to sell it down the road, things happen.

A guy comes to buy it and looks the whole car over, when he sees the owner took the extra time to even do the frame right, that tells a prospective buyer that the owner pulled out all the stops.

When I see a really nice car at a car show, I will look under the hood, and if thats also really nice, thats the point that I really start looking, panel gaps first, then I will have a look at the under carriage, and if I see a pock marked frame, painted or powder coated, I'm wondering where else he cut corners, what about the stuff I can't see.

As far as powder coating a frame, its easier to do then filling and sanding, and most of them look really, really nice. But because of the frame rails and inside pockets you can't get them on the money.

If I was buying and selling these cars to make money, I would most definitely powder coat it.

Rob

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.