Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
im currently doing a frame off restification of my 72 chevelle ss. during the resto, noticed that my frame was bent (by the steering box.) bought another 72 (six cyl) with a perfect frame to use. so far the frame has been blasted, and painted. all new poly graphite bushings, calipers, stainless brake lines, after market jigged rear control arms, and fresh 12 bolt have been installed. friggin beautiful...went totally anal with the frame including painting the new springs and sway bar with eastwoods detail gray. its now a rolling chassis. i plan to get a 454 built by a local racing shop. also will get a richmond 5 speed for the car...thing is i dont know what i should do now....should i put the SS body on the frame or should in put the motor/tranny on the frame, then put the body on...which way will be easier. any additional advise will be appreciated... also..what weighs more; a turbo 400 or a richmond 5-speed.??
THANKS IN ADVANCE!!

·
Registered
172 Posts
If I was doing it, I would put the body on the frame before the engine goes in. I would then put the engine and trans in before the front clip went on.

------------------

.....Joe
"67 Malibu 454/TH400"
~Northeast, Pa.~

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
If your using a transmission that is not a proven fit, like the richmond. I would install the body first. It's easier to move the trans to message the floor pan rather than raise the body each time.

This is the way I did my '72.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]
www.athenet.net/~chevelle

·
Registered
246 Posts
The Richmond will bolt right in just like a Muncie without interference. It weighs 95 lbs which is less than a full TH400.

·
Gold Founding Member
462 Posts
I agree with joe454 as i have done them both ways . Body first then motor and trans. and last the front end.

------------------
CFR.

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
I usually do the complete chassis, including eng/trans/exhaust system..then lower the body down. I hang the body front and rear with come alongs, they make it very easy to raise and lower the body. If its a non stock eng or trans and body clearances arent known, I fit the body to the chassis, make necessary mods and then take the body back off to paint.

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv
55 chevy prostreet

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
Hmm, my Richmond 6-speed did not want to fit without messaging/cutting the floor. The linkages sticking out the side we're the major problem.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]

·
Registered
337 Posts
I'm in the process of doing the same thing to my 72, went nuts with the stainless brake lines, all new polyurethane bushings even used Eastwoods detail gray on the springs and driveshaft. The entire rolling chassis is all done, and the engine and transmission are back in. The body is all painted, I'm just waiting for the exhaust system to get here. Once it's installed, the body is going back on and everything's going back together.

Jeff Litka
72 Chevelle SS
72 MonteCarlo

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
I put the engine and tranny in the frame, exhaust and all the hangers etc., and even put the engine harness on the engine. This way I don't have to worry about scratching the frame or the fresh detailed firewall. Or the bottom of the car with the exhaust or crossmember.

·
Registered
138 Posts
I put the engine, tranny, driveshaft, exhaust, etc. on my 70 first, then set the body. I hung the body like droptop did and lowered it several times to make sure all fit ok. I even started the engine and broke in without the body on. Much easier to do this way unless you have a lift to raise the car for working underneath.
Tom

------------------

·
Registered
226 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
kevin, so what your saying is that i dont have to cut the floors at all? also i currently have a 3.73 12 bolt should i go to a numerically lower gear like a 3.08?

·
Premium Member
312 Posts
I could be mistaken, but I thought the Richmond 5 & 6 speeds were the same size from the centerline up. The sixth gear adds more mass underneath. If you're considering the 5, it would be best to call Richmond and ask. Or check their website at www.richmondgear.com

If you look at the pics on my website, you can see where I ran into problems. The cut was not that major. I just need to form and weld a piece of metal over the linkages.

------------------
JeffK ACES #01510
Team Chevelle Gold #72
496 EFI/Richmond 6-Speed
[email protected]

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.