Chevelles.com banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 66 Malibu convertible frame is too far gone. I found a rust-free frame but it is off a 67 Chevelle SS sedan. I understand I need to box sections of the frame to strengthen it for my covertible; not a problem... my question is, are 64-72 frames all compatible? Are there any other modification I will need to make? I found a series of numbers off the frame... what can they tell me?

[This message has been edited by Clay (edited 11-04-99).]

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What do you mean by a different cross member than the car/type frame? The area that the cross members attach on my old frame was badly rusted also so I won't be able to use the old cross members on the 67 frame. Also, where are the inner wedge shaped boxes located on the old frame so I can see if they are in decent shape?

·
Registered
648 Posts
Clay, I had the same problem. I found the best solution was to go to a 66/7 Elky frame. The Elky frame is identical to the conv frame, fully boxed from the factory. The only difference is it is about 2 1/2 " ( I forget the exact dimension ) longer behind the rear wheel area. This area is a straight channel area on very easly to cut a piece out and weld back up. If you do it right it can be cleaned up so you can't tell it's been welded. Every other measurement on the frame is exact. Hope this helps

·
Registered
687 Posts
I have a 66 SS frame I'd like to get rid of.If it is something you might be interested in, just let me know.

------------------
John 67SS
ACES #2887
Team Chevelle Gold #127
Bassett,VA

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.