Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys,

Thought I'd drop my gas tank today to look for the build sheet since my car is already off the ground for a starter/flexplate swap. Lo and behold, there it was! Proof positive of the 70 Malibu big-block 400! No really interesting options besides the big-block, other than heavy duty suspension (F40) and rally wheels (ZJ7) with F70x14 white letter tires (PL4).

Anyone interested in seeing a few photos and reading about these cars can check out Radio Joe's web page at:

pw2.netcom.com/~radiojoe/[email protected]"][email protected][/email]

·
Registered
69 Posts
That's awesome Rainer, I'm happy to hear it was there. As I mentioned to you, my 4-speed 400 Malibu was sold, is on it's way up to Canada where it will be turned into an SS clone by the new owner. He doesn't want his son to tear up a real '70 SS, so since this car is a matching #s big block 4 speed, it's easy to strip the car of its true original identity and make it appear as an SS. One more piece of Chevelle history will be lost shortly. One that had a build sheet, too. It was a sad sight to see it loaded up and on its way to Chevelle Hell. (Not Canada, just the state of mutilation)

Jeff

·
Premium Member
95 Posts
Rainer

I posted that info on here and the Camaro Board before, but didnt think anyone took it seriously. My 69 Camaro that was LA built had it's build sheet on top of the tank. I have owned it for 20 years and just dropped the tank late last year and found it. Mine was on the drivers side of the tank with the top facing forward. It was weathered but I got almost evrything off it to document my car as a SS. I have since put it thru my scanner and lightened it up and can read alot more of it. I also ran a color copy of it to preserve it as it came out of the car. I hope others take the time to see if they have one there also. BTW Nice car!!

I was jumping up and down like a little kid when I found mine....how 'bout you??

------------------
Mike
71 SS454 4spd/with air ElCamino
Gold Member # 149

·
Registered
32 Posts
Do the cities matter where it would be found? As in, you guys were metioning LA cars and it being on the tank.. Does that mean Arlington cars or Fremont would be elsewhere?

------------------
IrateN8
Northern California
1970 Malibu Sport Coupe

·
Premium Member
3,438 Posts
the places I have found build sheets are:
under the back seat (always)
behind drivers door panel (sometimes)
behind drivers side bucket seat plastic back panel (many times, and if you find this one its usually in great shape compared to the one under the back seat)
top of gas tank (not too often)
jammed up under the dash (only once)
Happy hunting!! I love looking for build sheets, its usually the first thing I do when I get a car home, what a thrill to find them after all these years!

------------------
70 chevelle ss396 conv
66 chevelle ss396 hdp/conv

·
Premium Member
4,478 Posts
Jeff, how sad...I would have bought your car had I known the fate of it, and well if I would of had the space for another Malibu

Anyway, so Rainer, what radio did your car originally come with?
Just give me the code or what it says and I'll tell you.

Joe
a.k.a. radiojoe

·
Registered
313 Posts
My Atlanta built 70 had the build sheet crammed in the rear lower seat. Another one of those Homer Simpson moments when I think about selling it years ago for something like $2500. Two owner car, second owner had it for most of the time, a woman who liked the car and kept it maintained well. Undoubtedly numbers matching, 350HP, TH400, console, Interior spotless, just needed bucket springs, AM 8 track player, A/C. I paid $800 for it in 81 and so when I sold it, thought I was making a mint. The one that got away.
John Walker

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.