Chevelles.com banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was out today with a friend looking at some hunting property way out in the boonies and found an 1971 Chevellle SS sitting behind this old barn along with a beat up 70's Camaro. The 71 had a cowl induction hood. Been sitting for some time, tires were flat and sunk into the ground. Anyhow, I walked up to it thinking I found a treasure and looked inside to see a Maibu dash, AT on the tree and bench seat, opened the hood and found a tired looking 307 engine which appeared original. The land owner said the cars have been there for about 10+ yrs since he acquired the land and he has no idea who they belong to. Cars are really junk, Camaro has rusted out floors and the Chevelle had one window that was broken. If my friend buys the 80 acres, he said I can have the cars but they don't look worth anything. The CI hood is in bad shape with many dings and rust starting.

·
Registered
41 Posts
I also found a 70 ss sitting in the weeds at my father inlaws. It was in a rural small town. The car was sitting next to a shed that had burn't down. The body was burned beyound saving, but the front spindles were there, disc brakes and also a 12 bolt under it was good, got it bought for $45 dollars with the title. Your 71 may have a 8.5 10 bolt.

·
Super Moderator
12,650 Posts
Mike,
Might be wrong, but in 71, I am pretty sure you could order an SS with any engine, dash, seats etc. If it looks pretty much original, and has an SS hood, it just might be the real thing.

·
Registered
13,035 Posts
Bill- even the 71 and 72's got the SS dash with the round holes. They just opened up the engine choices to small blocks.

·
Registered
3,001 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
This was no SS but a old faker and a poor one at that. It has exterior SS emblems, cowl hood with the flapper (no internal ducts to anything), stripes that are not original (too big and poor masking). It has a Chevelle grill, interior, ralley wheels, dash and original 307 that still had the emisson sticker on the schroud.

If I get the cars, I think once I get title (can declare them abandoned as any car left on private property for 30 days can be declared abandoned in Mich) I will sell them on ebay. People there will pay for junk like this.

fyi - A 307 was never available with a the SS option. If you read the requirement in the order guide you will see the SS option was only available on the Malibu with an optional engine and transmission. The 307 was a base engine on the 13637 Malibu and not optional. Where people get confused is with the Heavy Chevy as it has some of the exterior features of the SS (doomed hood primarely) and they assume its a SS or owners clone it into an SS. Back in 1973 abouts, a friend of mine bought one used and made it look like a SS by adding the emblems. 99% never new the difference....

1 - 6 of 6 Posts