Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm assembling a tripower for my 427 Chevelle. My heads are polished as is the intake. I have two choices of carbs expensive aluminum ones or standard Holley 2 bbls. I want the engine compartment to look as stock as possible. There would be a slight performance difference in the alum carbs, but they won't look original and require me to take a chunk out of the thermostat housing.( To clear front bowl) What to do? Do I go with form ( stock Holleys ) or function ( slightly better throttle response with the annular discharge alum carbs)?

------------------

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Polished intake and heads won't look stock or original so the carbs wouldn't make any difference. GO with performance. Besides the alum carbs would complement the polished engine.

------------------
Steve Strasemeier (70SS 396, Fathom Blue/White Stripes)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, there are pros and cons to both, but at $195 ( stock Holley ) and $240 ( annular Holley) times three, I have to choose one and not the other. Steve, I didn't do the polishing a friend with way too much time on his hands did. In fact, I would argue that a polished manifold dissipates heat worse. But you're right, only if I paint the heads/mani orange would this thing look stock. Sort of bummed actually, I mean, I like show, but I'm really not into glitter and glitz. I'm into air space under my front tires at launch!

Thanks for your replies.

Go SABRES!

Geno
Gold #62

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-17-99).]

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Gene- Paint the heads, bead blast the intake to remove the polish job, and get the regular Holleys

·
Registered
336 Posts
Dont do it gene!!! polished intakes look awesome.. If you dont like it sell it and buy a different intake, dont waste a perfectly good polishing job.. as for the different carbs I would post on the newsgroups and ask a few different Holley reps how much different you will really notice between the two... I suspect its fairly minimal and if they are new carbs, just go for the cheaper ones (unless there are other major differences) I think you can get annular discharge nozzles for any holley carb anyways

Mike
Gold #34

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
BULKSS, ironically, the annular discharge carbs are Holley HiPo version of a 2 bbl Autolite. The discharge nozzles have slots all the way around so you get better fuel distribution. Plus, on these, #82011, the tops come off, like Q-jets to change the jetting if need be. And, no power valve. I'm nost sure exactly what they use , but no power valve. BTW, I'm having a carb pro set these up, so the tops coming off to change jetting should be irrelevant.

Mr. Bridwell, if I glass beaded my friends polish job , he'd probably break my jaw. It doesn't look bad, just not stock.

·
Gold Founding Member
1,349 Posts
I have seen the holley 4 barrels that the tops come of instead of the ends is it like that Mike

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Mike, if you're referring to the "motorcraft" type Holley carbs, then, yes it its. These were Holleys "trick" versions of F*** carbs. I'm not really up-to-speed on Holley carbs, though.

·
Registered
13,036 Posts
Gene- I wouldn't want you to get in trouble with your pal!!!
I like the idea of trading for an original one!!

·
Boldly procrastrinating
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,274 Posts
Gene, do you have the triangular air cleaner like the Corvettes had? Do you want to run this? I thought the original Corvette air cleaner had three sort of half-moon shaped holes in the bottom plate and that the carbs had a similar shaped gasket surface. I'm under the impression the three Holleys with the full sized round air cleaner mount won't fit on a V-8, even a BB. I could be way off here, but it might be worth looking into. Tom (I always wanted one of these setups in a '55 Nomad....)

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
No, Tom you're right. The first thing to be done with either carb is to set them up on a Bridgeport and mill the full circle back to a half moon. My buddy's got the jig. And the Vette air cleaner is used.

Mr. Kent do I detect a sarcastic tone in your post?

I'll probably go with the annulars cause the ol' 427 might just start life with an L88 manifold and a single 4. I've got all those parts. BIG FAT Q-Jet on a spacer Glenn. Yup. I'm gonna polish the bores up and try to get 875 out of a Q on top of an L88. Hah! Need a "long cruise" mani anyway. I can't even imagine what 3 Holleys and my lead foot will do in MPG. Be like driving a freakin' Hummer.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-21-99).]

·
Registered
20 Posts
Gene,
Can barely believe you asked this question!

[This message has been edited by SirVette (edited 12-22-1999).]

·
Registered
28 Posts
I just finished putting a 427 with a total Edelbrock Performer RPM setup including the Oval Port Heads with a single 750 Edelbrock carb and HooYa. My 69SS is a Screamer now. I two was looking at the 3 duces and the dual 4's. I am very happy with the single. It's easier to control and a little easier on the fuel. Although I not getting more than 10 miles to the gallon. The 427 was and is an awsome engine... Tom...

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Tom, no doubt. Now, I have nothing against any combo, and I ran SBCs when I was a kid, but the '27 is a gem. Revs like a SBC and rips out the torque. I've ridden in 396's, driven a 454, and the 427 can't be beat. I love 'em. In fact I should change my handle here to 427Gene. I haven't had the pleasure of a full power blast in my buds 509 Camaro yet, but I don't think it'll change my mind.

BTW, I decided to go with the annulars. They're just too trick. I saw a Hemmings ad some time back - a guy was selling an intake w/ 3 annulars for $350. He said I was the thousanth phone call. He had the trickest Tri setup around and was willing to part with it for $350. I coulda stole it.

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-22-99).]

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Fred, Naw, Glenn's just bustin' our ballz. He piped in on a few of the Q-Jet v Holley threads and he thinks were all "Q-Jet Happy". I'll never be totally PO'd at Mr. Kent though because we do share some very similar opinions ( see "Purple Heart - Cast your Vote" ).

Glenn, I was bustin' your ballz. My 427 will get the Holley 750 dbl on the 396 now.(Since rushing into the tripower will screw up my savings right now). I did see some HUGE Caddy Q-jets at the scrap yard.I might just have to pick one up and redo it when I have the time and $50. And then, Glenn, you can have the choice of either the 700 or the 800+ ( since I don't know your ride ) and we'll make a believer out of you yet. FOC, I pay shipping one way, cost plus 0 if you decide to "convert".

Congrats to all you Texas boys for bringing the Stanley Cup to the Lone Star State. It was one helluva series. I think it made a real hockey fan out of me. We'll bring that bad girl back up north next time!

[This message has been edited by Gene Chas (edited 06-23-99).]

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.