Team Chevelle banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If this is wrong of me to post this here I am sorry, but it does involve an "ENGINE":cool:

Spark plug shot out and now NO threads in the Head to thread the Spark plug back in.
Anyone ever have this issue? Can this be Helicoiled(sp) at all and if yes can it be while the head is still on truck?

Opinions/help please-

This is a 2002 F-150 with the 5.4
Thank you Matt

·
In Memoriam
66 El Camino 57 Chevy pickup 2004 Tahoe
29,419 Posts
what is this Ford you speak of? :)

is it aluminum head? most can be helicoiled, but not necessarily with the head on. hard to keep the shavings out of the cylinder, then there's that tang at the bottom that has to be broken off.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
what is this Ford you speak of? :)

is it aluminum head? most can be helicoiled, but not necessarily with the head on. hard to keep the shavings out of the cylinder, then there's that tang at the bottom that has to be broken off.
Yes, Stock aluminum Headed 2002 F-150 4x4

·
Registered
210 Posts
Yes they can be repaired on the vehicle. It is a bit tricky to make sure you get all the material cleaned out of the cylinder.You may try checking with some local Ford dealers to see if they have a kit to repair it. Its not a Ford kit as Ford says its a big no no.We do have one here that we use for some non warrenty work to save people some big bucks. Any chance it was #3 cyl? That seems to be the one that blows out the most for some odd reason.

Steve Blok...Ford Senior Master Technition....

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes they can be repaired on the vehicle. It is a bit tricky to make sure you get all the material cleaned out of the cylinder.You may try checking with some local Ford dealers to see if they have a kit to repair it. Its not a Ford kit as Ford says its a big no no.We do have one here that we use for some non warrenty work to save people some big bucks. Any chance it was #3 cyl? That seems to be the one that blows out the most for some odd reason.

Steve Blok...Ford Senior Master Technition....
OK, it is the 3rd Cylinder back on the Pass side. we are going to call around and see if anyone will helicoil it with the Head still on. Not fun either way-:noway:

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
Steve, thanks for your post.

·
Gold Founding Member
10,970 Posts
I thought this was common as dirt on those engines. At any rate, my automotive machinist buddy keeps telling me about Ford plug threads blowing out.

Haul it back to Ford and demand that they fix it as a warranty issue. Be sure to send a complaint to Ford home office; and whatever consumer protection agencies you feel are appropriate. It's a design defect, there's no reason on earth you should have to pay one cent of the repair bill. As far as I'm concerned, they owe you a loaner car while yours is being repaired, too.

I have heard--but not verified--that the original plugs are only threaded in a small area, while most aftermarket plugs have full threads, spreading the load over more area.

·
In Memoriam
29,419 Posts
excellent Schurkey

·
Premium Member
128 Posts
Matt,

I take it the truck is out of the base warranty-no extended service plan? I would still try asking your selling dealer for assistance especially if you purchased the vehicle new.

Ford does not recommend repairing any of these popped/stripped spark plug threads as others have told you, but when we started seeing this problem in the Ford dealership some 6-7 years ago I did repair a few with a thread kit with good results. As tom stated very hard to make sure you get all of the material out, it is impossible to be sure you've gotten it all out. The amount of thread surface in the cylinder head is minimal, most replacement plugs including motocraft have more threads but only half of the threads grip the cylinder head.

If repair is attempted you will need the new style repair kit as billy177 suggests. The old style kits don't have a long enough insertion tool. The 5.4 has very deep spark plug wells.

Rich.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Matt,

I take it the truck is out of the base warranty-no extended service plan? I would still try asking your selling dealer for assistance especially if you purchased the vehicle new.

Ford does not recommend repairing any of these popped/stripped spark plug threads as others have told you, but when we started seeing this problem in the Ford dealership some 6-7 years ago I did repair a few with a thread kit with good results. As tom stated very hard to make sure you get all of the material out, it is impossible to be sure you've gotten it all out. The amount of thread surface in the cylinder head is minimal, most replacement plugs including motocraft have more threads but only half of the threads grip the cylinder head.

If repair is attempted you will need the new style repair kit as billy177 suggests. The old style kits don't have a long enough insertion tool. The 5.4 has very deep spark plug wells.

Rich.
Thank you, the truck has 160K on it.:sad: Looks like the new kit it is.....:confused:

·
Super Moderator
13,352 Posts
Matt,
I have the Timesert kit and fix them, but will only do it off the vehicle. It is a very good repair, I just dont feel comfortable doing it in the truck and trying to get all the metal out. It cuts a bunch out of the head. The best way is to convert it to the long thread insert and use the long thread plugs that Ford switched to in the later years. I know one guy that is going to the dealers and fixing them. He is charging about $600 to go there and fix the first one. $100 for each additional hole.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts