Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part May's Ride of the Month Challenge!

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
WHat kind of car do you have?
I put one on my '68 a couple of months ago. Purchaded it from Currie, it is made for Chevys and fits like a glove with no problems at all.

·
Registered
9,703 Posts
Currie Enterprises is a company that builds custom and bolt in performance rear ends. There is also Moser Engineering who does the same thing. These are very good rear ends, but are a bit expensive. They usually run around $2000. To build your own you will need to build a fixture off of your old rear end so you can locate the controll arm mounts and shock mounts. You could do away with all of this by using ladder bars or a four link, but these are not much fun on a daily driver. You could probably build a real nice 12 bolt for the money you will spend on the 9" conversion.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Whats the advantages of a Ford 9 inch rear/ Why put a brand X (Ford ) in a chevy? Isn't that sacreligious??
Please Discuss!!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a Chevy 12 bolt posi with 308 gears. It is a real dog off of the line. I wanted to upgrade to a better gear ratio (373 or 388), but found out it was going to cost approx. $650 to have the new gears installed. The two advantages with Ford rear ends in my opinion are Strength and Flexibility. The flexible benefit is having the ability to change out the gear set up easily and quickly by having two different "pumpkins". Where as a Chevy 12 bolt is one solid peace that cannot be changed.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Here's a thought...why don't Chevy come out with strong rear-end

·
Registered
79 Posts
I have a 9" in both the elcamino and my Chevelle. You can't beat the strength. They are heavyer than a 12 bolt also. Although it might be considered overkill on a mild street car, I like the fact they don't have C clips and both of mine are interchangable so if I ever did hurt the elcaminos rear I have a spare in the chevelle.

------------------
70 El Camino ET 11.32 @
117MPH http://chevelles.com/showroom/dans70elcamino.jpg
66 Malibu project http://chevelles.com/showroom/dans66Chevelle.jpg

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.