Team Chevelle banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Are there any legal ramifications with this or does this just mean you have an @sshole boss? This is not me, its my wife. She was approved for a week and a half vacation and not only does she now have to go in for inventory, which is an overnight deal, but also has to drive 4 hours for a meeting another day.

I won't mention who her employer is, but it is big enough such that it is listed on the stock exchange.

·
Premium Member
3,894 Posts

·
Registered
510 Posts
Are there any legal ramifications with this or does this just mean you have an @sshole boss? This is not me, its my wife. She was approved for a week and a half vacation and not only does she now have to go in for inventory, which is an overnight deal, but also has to drive 4 hours for a meeting another day.

I won't mention who her employer is, but it is big enough such that it is listed on the stock exchange.

she can force the issue with them if she wants to but how much does she like her job.

they cannot force her to cancel the vacation unless she signed a contract that stipulates she can be called in even on vacation.

If I was her I would create an event tied to the vacation that would not be cancelable. (a wedding, or trip or something)

·
Premium Member
4,640 Posts
Her boss is a butt head. Is she salary or hourly, if she is salary the boss can do it. Bet thing to do on vacation is to leave the cell phone at the office.

·
Registered
510 Posts
i am salary and during one on ones with the manager we have had these sort of "what ifs"

what if there is an emergency and we need all hands on board to fix a major issue, would you drop what you are doing and come in even if you are not on call?

my reply was, it depends on what I am doing. If I am at home mowing the lawn, yes I would drop all and come in. If I am getting a root canal, um no I am in no shape to help.

If I was preparing for a vacation and my wife had her scheduled time off set as well, they would need to throw me a big fricking bone to cancel our vacation to get me to show up

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
She likes the job, and has been with the same company for 15 years. She is the general manager so gets paid salary.

The guy has to approve her vacation personally, which adds to the annoyance factor. Plus, her mom will be here the entire time which means I have to entertain her while she is gone, and get a day's worth of work done. (I work from home)

·
Premium Member
6,171 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ah,so now we know the root of the problem.:D
I figured somebody would comment on that, and you were in the top 5. :D

I like my MIL, and she'll most likely (hopefully? :) )be working on our landscaping. I just can't believe somebody would tell somebody to come in on their vacation not once but twice.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
Sounds like about a day and a half of that vacation is not vacation. I'd go in but I'd expect 1.5 "comp" days in return.

Too bad the company doesn't have strong enough values to respect the work/life balance that keeps employees happy and loyal.

·
Registered
510 Posts

Too bad the company doesn't have strong enough values to respect the work/life balance that keeps employees happy and loyal.
all that has gone out the window in the name of corporate survival. Company's still expect our devotion, loyalty, pound of flesh and 190% effort, but they we, {the employee} are expendable. Our needs, efforts and devotion goes unrewarded now. This year my company has taken away our stock compensation, cash bonuses, merit raises { which I consider cost of living adjustment} and doubled our health insurance contribution per check.

I figure they have pulled 17 grand per year out of my pocket and then keep telling me to do more with less. I need a new job

·
Registered
5,406 Posts

WalMart has always done that!:yes::D
Most businesses are like that when you are managememnt! You have to be "flexible" as they would say!

·
Registered
6,229 Posts
all that has gone out the window in the name of corporate survival. Company's still expect our devotion, loyalty, pound of flesh and 190% effort, but they we, {the employee} are expendable. Our needs, efforts and devotion goes unrewarded now. This year my company has taken away our stock compensation, cash bonuses, merit raises { which I consider cost of living adjustment} and doubled our health insurance contribution per check.

I figure they have pulled 17 grand per year out of my pocket and then keep telling me to do more with less. I need a new job
If you find one that DOESN'T do that, let me know. We're getting ready to vote on a new contract and from what we understand, this will be what we're "getting".

And my work is connected to oil and gas so it's not like the money isn't there.

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
all that has gone out the window
Tough times don't mean we have to have less integrity. Not where I work. Although we have undergone temporary layoffs. Merit raises are suspend, but our merit was based on competition for jobs at similar companies and now people will work for less (economy has retracted not grown) so that explains merit suspensions. Our bonuses are business plan based and we are missing expectations (so they haven't taken away bonuses, but we see that there won't be any). We were playing by the same rules before the recession and they worked in our favor, now against. So it's hard to complain that it's not fair. I work for a major label Fortune 100 public company.

I hear you, 17 grand is a lot. I wish had given up 17 grand, mine's been more.

My comment was more about honesty. Approve a vacation and stick to it, or comp the person for the vacation days that were worked. Or simply don't approve the vacation.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Lot's of people would like to be able to give up 17 thou! That must leave a pretty decent paycheck. But, if your job was worth "X" amount of dollars last year, this year if you get paid half as much, it seems you should only have to do half as much. Unfortunately it doesn't work that way in the corporate world.

GE in Louisville is going to ad 90 full time jobs this year and they had nearly 10 thou people apply. These jobs only pay $13 an hour, but do have benefits. Probably a lo of those applicants used to make $18 or more in manufacturuing jobs, but they will settle for less today.

·
Registered
510 Posts
well I understand people have it rough and I am lucky to be working, to still be pulling down what I am. My wife is working too. But I have to find that 17 somewhere. The kids need braces, my wife brought home an estimate from the dentist for 12,900 in bridge work etc. (thats our share, jesus h where am I gonna find that? I am thinking I might need to sell some stuff or borrow from my 401k to take care of my family) sigh

·
Registered
3,495 Posts
Sounds eerily familiar. Companies love to pull that management dedication b.s. When I was a manager at Kragens, I would constantly be called in on vacation, days off, etc... To make matters worse, there were two other managers, and they were NEVER called in because they were buddies with the district manager. Of course, that all changed when I took over scheduling duties! Suddenly there were almost no employees calling in sick and NO vacations were interrupted:yes:

I understood the value of a happy employee, the previous manager didn't. It wasn't too bad for me; my girlfriend didn't mind and I liked the pay. I worked double shifts every day of the week for two weeks on one occasion! Man, when you are exhausted beyond belief, getting a 196 hour paycheck with time and a half, double time, triple time, mileage compensation, and california "no lunch" compensation really wakens you right up:yes::D

When we did go on real vacations, I would "accidentally" leave my cell phone in my locker at work the night before the trip, SHUCKS, I'm so forgetful at times!:D

·
Premium Member
5,007 Posts
But, if your job was worth "X" amount of dollars last year, this year if you get paid half as much, it seems you should only have to do half as much.
Not sure I agree with that. Wages are affected by competition like everything else. If I don't get paid as much and do less work in return, shouldn't the guy that is willing to do the old amount of work for the lower amount of money get the job because I am less competitive. When the price of gasoline shot way up last year, I didn't get better mileage because the gasoline was better at the higher price.

Not saying I like any of this. Im going through the same cuts. Im even involved in making some of the "management b.s." decisions.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts