Team Chevelle banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm lookin to put a floor shifter into my 67 ELKY, what type of shifter do you have/ favorite?

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
DJ, If you have automatic tranny, then I can share my recent experience: I just purchased a B&M Megashifter. I looked at the Hurst IndyMatic - looked just like 4-speed (coolest) but learned it was a linkage rod activated shifter. The B&M is a cable operated shifter - rachet and detente. It has a lighted indicator too. I looked at the Hurst V-matic 2, but it seemed confusing a shift pattern (my opinion only) and it was alot more expensive. I also considered the B&M Star Shifter -- very similar to Megashifter but I without the lighted indicator, and had a slightly different look. I ran into several people who all had good things to say about the B&M shifter too. I am installing it tomorrow, so I will tell you how it operates then. It also comes with lifetime warranty.
I stay on the street and wanted something cool looking and of reasonable quality and price. If you race, you would probably look to more high speed shifters.

------------------

·
Registered
95 Posts
Like Bob, I too have a B&M Megashifter in a 68 Elky and I LOVE the thing. It's much easier to deal with than a Hurst, and I really think that it was designed better in terms of the placement of everything on the shifter. It all just feels right in my hand. The lighted indicator is a plus (especially when I was first learning how to use it while driving). I installed it at a slight angle so that it would be more natural to shift (I would keep this in mind for whatever shifter you decide on). I really can't say enough about it!

Sorry, late night study break . . . too much coffee!
--Amanda

·
Registered
200 Posts
Hi, I really love my B&M Prostick. It's easy to use, and feels really good in your hand. When trying to get into park and reverse, it's a lttle awkward pushing the lever with the opposite hand and pushing foreward. It's really no big thing. I think it works best with bucket seats.

M

·
0 Posts
I have the B&M Megashifter and it's great. I'm using it with a TH350 but plan to get the 700R4 and it comes with all the parts to change it over including a new indicator window. I've been using it for 3 years now and it works terrific. The install was pretty easy also.

·
Premium Member
1,370 Posts
Hey DJ, My Megashifter is in!! And like the James Brown Song YOOOWWWW!! I FEEL GOOD NOW....... I KNEW THAT I WOULD NOW..... Hey Amanda! The gent that installed it with me also put it at a slight angle -- I was getting ready to stress till I found out it was a good call. So far, so good. It's the next best thing to 4speed.
It took a few hours - had to take the cross member off to get to the bolts.

Hey another milestone too. This post moves me from junior member to "member." not that I can help anyone with anything complex.... I am printing this one out!!
This place is great!

[This message has been edited by Skier_Bob (edited 02-04-99).]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.