Chevelles.com banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have something draining my battery. Yesterday I got a new Optima battery and today it's dead. I searched past posts and found where they said to put a test light between the negative cable and the post and then start pulling fuses till the light goes out. I unhooked my radio, unhooked the clock, made sure the dome light was out, and then I pulled all the fuses out one by one and the light was still on! What does this mean? I'm pretty "electronically challanged" so any input is appreciated. Update...I pulled the wires going to the voltage regulator and the light went out. I can also unplug the alt. and the light goes out. Looked at the wiring diagram and it's the same wires. Anybody have any ideas?

·
Administrator
16,156 Posts
If you live in Tucson area I am close enough to lend a hand in the future. Almost 40 years of working on Chevy's.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Fyi, my auto electric expert used to sell those Optima's...until he realized that they do NOT recover well after being discharged. Odd characteristic of the battery.

He HIGHLY recommends AC Delco batteries, as they are manufactured better, or at least maintaining the Optima w/ a smart charger to prevent drainage (such as might be the case in a garaged classic).

I used to have an Optima, and one day I realized something in my rig drained it. It never recovered a full charge.

A properly installed/maintained wet cell battery will not leak.

My .02.

JR

1 - 4 of 4 Posts