Team Chevelle banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So many people ask what it will take to make a motor run cool I thought I would tell you. We fired my new 396 this afternoon and I became concerned I had a problem because it would not warm up. It is set up with:

Alumitech Radiator
Stewart water pump and high flo thermostat
Police HD fan cluth on stock fan
Everything installed including all A/C components and condenser
85 * today

After firing and running 20-30 minutes at 1200-1500 RPM's it finally crept up to 180* and I came to one conclusion. If you will listen here and not short cut for a few $$$$$ you will succeed.

Thanx Guys:hurray:

·
Premium Member
1,182 Posts
So many people ask what it will take to make a motor run cool I thought I would tell you. We fired my new 396 this afternoon and I became concerned I had a problem because it would not warm up. It is set up with:

Alumitech Radiator
Stewart water pump and high flo thermostat
Police HD fan cluth on stock fan
Everything installed including all A/C components and condenser
85 * today

After firing and running 20-30 minutes at 1200-1500 RPM's it finally crept up to 180* and I came to one conclusion. If you will listen here and not short cut for a few $$$$$ you will succeed.

Thanx Guys:hurray:
John
thanks for letting guys know the route you took ...this is why I tell folks with our rad to not run less then a 180 t-stat ... If they put in a 160 stat .. the will never get the car warm enough to burn off moisture in the oil pan .
the H/D police clutch is a nice up grade they lock up to about 80% , rather then 50% of a regular unit .

happy motoring

Don

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
John,glad to hear your bbc cooling is working great,no surprise with the alumitech radiator.

Just curious,are you running a long or short water pump on your?

If its a long pump with a stock gm 7 blade clutch fan could you please tell the mfg & pt# for the h/d police fan clutch you used & where you bought it?

Even if you have a short w/pump could you still tell me the mfg of the h/d police clutch and where you got it,i should be able to get same application for a long pump.

I have found some of todays fan clutches dont work so well/not good lockup and yours worked good and i would like to try the same h/d police unit on my car.

Thanks...scott

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Scott It is a long pump. The clutch came from ABC auto parts a locally owned chain. I will get the complete info on it tomorrow.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
Thanks John,i appreciate it.

Scott

·
Premium Member
5,756 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
http://www.haydenauto.com/products/index.htm

Scott This should get you there. The # is 2747 and is labeled Heavy duty. They make one they call severe duty but they told me if the one I bought did not do the job I might have other problems. With the stock fan it sure moves a lot of air.

·
Registered
11,298 Posts
JOHN,thanks a lot for the pt# & the info which was just what i was looking for with good application charts and specs including clutch size & lockup % to compair applictions for fitment,it's great.

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.