Team Chevelle banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JULY's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can I hook up the column shift (stock powerglide car)to the new 400 trans,or will I have to buy additional parts?
I know Im already doing the kickdown switch,and the driveshaft.
I was just curious about the hook up on the stock column shifter.

·
Registered
4,722 Posts
Not sure on a Chevelle, but on a Nova column shift I just replaced the detent (notched piece) on the inside of the column and the indicator in the dash.

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ive finally started the switch.
It doesnt look like I have what I need to hook up the colum shift bracketry underneath from the powerglide to the th400.
The existing linkage drops down from the column onto a pivot bracket on the frame.
Then a fork type angle bracket reaches from that pivot,over to the powerglide,connecting to a lever.
It doesnt look like the lever unbolts,so that I could unbolt it,and bolt it to the new 400.
Has anyone done this swap,or did all th400s come with a floor shift instead of column?

·
Premium Member
1,020 Posts
hello chris, well the power glide column2 speed is different than the 400 3 speed i think the linkage is different below to the trans also, my 67 SS is a original 400 bench seat car, on the power glide its a 2 speed so the speedometer shift indicater is different 400 is a 3 speed i dont know if you are keeping it stock or modified mine is all original good luck happy motoring

·
Registered
1,883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just looking to get it hooked up so I can drive and shift.
It looks like I need a different bracket,at least,on the 400.
There seems to be a Lokar kit that suits my needs,that will go from trans all the way to the steering column,bypassing the factory swivel and bracket.
I think Ill put the 400 in,and see if I cant cut and weld something to get it going.If not,Ive found the kit for 56 bucks,free shipping.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts